.357 mag OAL for GP100?

jhansman

I'm wanting to make up some rounds in advance of getting this revolver next month and wondering what you GP100 shooters set your OAL at with a 158 grain lead bullet over Titegroup. Hodgdon says 1.610" on their site. Many thanks.

AlaskaMike

While I don't have a GP100, I always crimp in the crimp groove on every 158 grain cast bullet I've ever used. Unfortunately I can't say what that OAL is right now since I'm at work.

Try crimping in the crimp groove and then measure the OAL--I bet you'll find it's very close to what Hodgdon says. If yours is longer, you'll most likely see slightly less pressure and velocity. If yours is shorter, you'll most likely see slightly greater pressure and velocity (which, naturally could be a bad thing if you start out at the max load in the manual).

jhansman

The bullets I am using are Bear Creek moly coated, so they have no groove (even though I do lightly roll crimp them). I'll probably go with the manufacturer's spec, but I wanted to see what those who reload for this gun do. Thanks.

AlaskaMike

I just checked some of mine and they're right about 1.590". Mine are with my own cast bullets though, from RCBS 38-150-SWC mould.

It sounds like 1.61" with the ones you have should be just fine.

Uncle Buck

Just did up a batch of .357 last night. My O.A.L. is 1.600 and these will be fired out of several different .357s, including the GP100.

GP100man

That 158 gr. bullet would have to have a Long skinny nose on it to bind up the GPs cyl .

I shoot 170gr Lymans 358429 with no problems crimpin in the groove.

jhansman

Many thanks. 1.610" it is. The jacketed bullets I have all have a cannelure, so I'll just seat to that depth with those.