357 Mag loads - Powder type

neal bloom

I have read in different threads that shooting 357 mag out of a snubby never gives the bullet a chance to reach max speed and that 38 special was probably better out of a snubby.

Since I currently load 357 with Blue Dot to shoot out of my SP101 and Blackhawk would it be better to keep reloading with Blue Dot for the Blackhawk and switch to a faster powder such as Bullseye for the SP101? Would a faster powder push the bullet faster without wasting powder past the muzzle. Blue Dot sure does send a ball of flame out of the SP101. Am I just wasting powder?

Any powder recommendations beside Bullseye or Bluedot?

I'd drop back to something like AA 5, 800X, Green Dot, or a similar powder, which are between Bullseye and Blue Dot in burning rate.

Bullseye is simply too fast to get anything other than light .357 loads.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Although kind'a dirty, I like using Unique in light to moderate
.357 magnum loads.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

stans

Unique has just been reformulated to be cleaner burning. Look for the "improved" label on the canister.

WESHOOT2

"UNIQUE ...CLEANER...IN SHOTGUN LOADS..."

Discard conventional wisdom. Use slow-burn Magnum-type powders.

Highly recommend: Blue Dot (with certain bullet weights), 2400, AA9, H110, N110, W296.

All loads will send some unburned powder out the bore; disregard. Look in your load manual(s) for loads using the suggested powders.

I personally would start with AA9 and H110, and I would investigate different loads for the one I shoot most accurately.

k5blazer

Weshoot2,

Like Neal I load Blue Dot for a SP101, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk. I agree that the SP101 spits out a huge flame. But is the huge flame effective? What bullets weights (jacketed or lead) would you recommend for Blue Dot in 357?

K5

WESHOOT2

k5blazer

The "Huge Flame" may disorient an opponent.

Big flame means unburned powder, but that's what happens from short barrels; unburned powder.

What are you trying to accomplish? For highest velocity some 'flash' must be accepted.

Blue Dot is the "fastest" powder (meaning burn rate) I would use for "Magnum" loads (meaning highest velocity). Best with 110g bullets, still okay for 125's.

But for higher velocity through both SP and Blackhawk recommend (see posted list above).
In my experience you can expect good results with these powders, and IN MY GUNS I would START with H110, CCI550, Starline case, and the bullet of your choice (125/140/158g).

AND all my loads would be finish-crimped using the superior Redding Profile Crimp die.

C.R.Sam

I have read in different threads that shooting 357 mag out of a snubby never gives the bullet a chance to reach max speed and that 38 special was probably better out of a snubby

Disagree.......the short barrel length diminishes both. Mag is still stouter.......even with no barrel.

Sam

k5blazer

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I've always wondered about the .38 vs .357 out of a snubby argument. I am not a ballistics or firearms expert but the recoil alone from a .357 tells me it is much stouter than a .38 spc. This tells me it gots to be moving faster.

"The "Huge Flame" may disorient an opponent."

It may also disorient YOU if you're shooting in low light conditions.

There are actually two components of muzzle flash -- unburned powder, and incandescence.

Incandesence is, essentially, the powder gas glowing, sort of a mini plasma cloud. Incandescence can be as bright as flash caused by unburned powder.

Blue Dot apparently is one of those powders with a very high incandecsence factor.

Virtually all powders do this in one form or another. "Flashless" powders contain compounds that interfere with the ability of the powder gas to become incandescent.

Ben Shepherd

Concur with WS2. My sp101, my chrono: 2400 and 296 give me higher velocities than unique or bullseye.

Trade-off is large muzzle blast with the slower powders.