.357 Mag hunting round

e-bear

Well I finally put a ghost ring on my Rossi92 .357. At least Im on the target now at 50yds. Doing some data research I find a variety of reload numbers and advice. So I was wondering if any of you .357 reloaders have had any luck with lever gun loads good enough for deer at 100 yds or less. I would like to find a load for both by sp101 and rifle for plinking also.

T. O'Heir

"...load for both my sp101 and rifle..." That's mostly blind luck. It is with any 2 firearms. No two firearms, even identical ones, will shoot the same ammo the same way.
Anyway, the lads at Ballistics by the Inch have actual tested velocity numbers and an energy chart by barrel length that'll help. I'd be thinking 158 JHP myself.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

skinnedknuckles

I have matched HSM's Bear Load using 13.1 grains of H110 under MBC's 180 grain WFN hard cast, coated bullet. It yields 1570 fps in my Rossi M92 with a 20" barrel and 1150 fps in my Taurus M66 with a 4" barrel. As always, this load was my starting load for my guns and the velocities are just a little less than the HSM factory ammo (1630 fps and1180 fps, respectively) but close enough for my purposes and should be plenty for deer. You could probably safely load a little hotter, but that would be up to you. Achieving Buffalo Bore's velocities, IMHO, is not in the cards or necessary, and I'm brave enough to even try.

Hanshi

All the deer I've killed with the .357 were killed with a couple of revolvers. I used both 125 grain JHP and 158 grain JHP with complete success. Can't remember the 125 grain load but the 158 grain handload got 1250 fps from a 6" revolver. IIRC I used 15 grains of 2400. In a rifle I'd expect around 1600 fps or a a bit more.

ShootistPRS

My experience with hunting and the 357 was also with a 6 inch revolver. I used the same load that I had used in metallic silhouette. A sierra 140 gr. JHP in front of 19.1 grains of H110 with a CCI 550 primer. This load is meant for Ruger and Contender only and I would not load it into any lever action rifle.
With my load at 1464 fps muzzle velocity I limited my range to 50 yards or close to it. The numbers say it would be good out to 75 yards and I was accurate enough to shoot to 100 yards in competition. I figured the proper death of a game animal deserved the extra margin of error. I could shoot out to 75 yards and expect to hit within an inch of my point of aim. The two deer I took never traveled more than 5 yards from where they were hit.

I would caution that you should find a very accurate load for your rifle first and then check that accuracy in the pistol. I would bet that it will not be the best load for both guns. The game you are hunting deserves the best shot you can make for a quick, humane, kill and I would not push the range beyond 75 yards even in a rifle that shot great groups.
You can do what ever your conscience allows.

NoSecondBest

I've killed over fifty with the .357mag in a revolver and another eight or nine with a Marlin lever gun. You can use a 158g Horndady XTP HP in both with WW296 powder. MY SP101 shoots this load very well also, although my hunting revolver is usually my SW 686+. I've never owned any 357mag that that load didn't shoot good in. It also shot well in the Marlin.

buck460XVR

Near max loads of H110/W296 and a good 158JSP or XTP-FP. Jacketed will give you a better chance over lead that the load will shoot well in both platforms. Most JHPs in .357 may be a tad fragile for the velocities obtained in the rifle for good terminal performance on whitetail. Everyone has their favorites, experience will give you yours.

I had to put a new front sight on my Rossi 92 to shot to POA, but once I did, it is a tack driver out to 100 yards. I only load max loads twice in new brass for the lever gun and then retire it to reduced loads due to the high likelihood of it being stretched due to known headspacing issues with .357 levers.

e-bear

Thanx guys. I'm leaning towards 158 gr JHP XTP pushed by H110. I am very familiar with the 158 gr, but in LSWC. Ive shot that bookoo times in my sp101 and some in my R92. Ive never used H110 but Im about to. My home range is set at 50 yds. My deer shots will be well under 100 yds and Ive got 6 months before that buck presents a shot. Now that the plan is set all that's left to do is have some fun reloading and shooting.

Radny97

Hornady is now selling a Leverevolution powder (saw it at the LGS yesterday) so they probably have some published data for their polymer tipped bullets and that powder.

44 AMP

Staff
I would recommend a 158 over a 125. The additional velocity from a carbine doesn't overdrive the 158 AS MUCH.

I've gotten 2200fps from a Marlin carbine and the 125gr JHP, and while accuracy was acceptable those bullets simply aren't made for that, and behave much like varmint bullets (Hyper expansion on impact with anything). Not what one wants in a deer bullet.

The 158s GENERALLY don't blow up at carbine speeds like the 125s often do. Do some testing before deer season to be sure the brand you are using behaves the way you want.

ShootistPRS

The loaded leverevolution ammo they sell for 357 rifle/pistol is a lot slower than loads using H110. The OP is looking for cast 158 data.
I have seen maximum loads that run from 14.x to 17 grains of H110 for different cast 158 grain bullets. The bullets cast from linotype use heavier loads than swaged lead or most cast bullets. Cast from 50/50 lead and wheel weight you won't want to push them much beyond about 14.5 grains of H110 (296). That load is from a 1978 Winchester load guide, using Winchester brass, Winchester magnum small pistol primers and Winchester bullets. It is also stated that the load be used exactly as listed with no reductions as that could cause pressure spikes. I used to use that guide but it was a long time ago and there is much better information available.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by ShootistPRS:
The OP is looking for cast 158 data.

I don't think so. Sounds like he's found his cast load.

Originally posted by e-bear:
I'm leaning towards 158 gr JHP XTP pushed by H110. I am very familiar with the 158 gr, but in LSWC. Ive shot that bookoo times in my sp101 and some in my R92.

Originally posted by ShootistPRS:
It is also stated that the load be used exactly as listed with no reductions as that could cause pressure spikes.

Reducing H110/W296 below published recipes does not create "pressure spikes" but incomplete burn and possible squibs.

kraigwy

I've never hunted deer with a 357, but I've put down several moose using my 4" Model 28 Service Revolver.

I used the Lyman 358477 cast 150 gr SWC bullet. It worked quite well with neck shots. Never had to shoot one twice.

My department issued Winchester 125 hps, I tried carrying them, but only killed one moose with it. I wasn't impressed, it didn't have the penetration I wanted.

I always tried for a shot where the neck (spine) connects with the brain. Moose esp, bulls have a pretty tough neck. Have to in order to pack that rack around, and the neck strength to fight other bulls for the affections of the fair ladies.

I never got excited about making super hard cast bullets, always used range lead mixed with what ever wheel weights I had on hand, nothing fancy.

I still have that mold today and still use it in my 38/357s. Including my Marlin Cowboy. Feeds well and is accurate.

This is the same bullet shot out of my S&W 642 into wet phone books compared to a 125 gr +P Winchester Bullet. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

342%20%20bullets%20002.jpg

This guy was upset when his girl friend was hit by a van and decided to go after my patrol car. If that bullet would get through that tough neck, I'm certain it wouldn't have any problem with deer.

IMG_NEW.jpg

Reloader270

I have used my .357Mag Marlin Rifle for hunting plenty of warthogs and even mountain reed buck. I have used 158gr JSP and the velocity is in the region of 1600fps. Distance 50-100 yards. You would get best results with slower burning powders. Just look out for pressure signs.