357 mag carbine

iblong

My local GS is getting in my new R92 lever action Monday and I was looking at load data in a few of my manuals.
I have a load I really like in my 586 its a max load of 2400 under a 158 Hornady xtp according to most of my books this is over max for a carbine by almost a full grain.does the longer barrel create so much more pressure that it has to be down loaded.I was really hoping to use the same loads in pistol and rifle and not have to down load my revolver.

LE-28

The rifle is a closed breach which gets 100% of the pressure the cartridge can generate, the 586 has a barrel to cylinder gap that allows some pressure to escape.

The Rossi may be a very strong rifle but I would follow the loading manuals and work up to the max load the traditional way.

buck460XVR

While you should be fine with the load, I advise you to limit max loads in your carbine to new or once fired brass due to cases being stretched because of bolt movement. Nature of the beast in .357 lever carbines.

mikld

There's no downside to starting at the starting load and working up. Your new Rossi may not like the max load that your 586 likes...

iblong

That's very true and understood just did not want loads that could not be used
safely in both and have to worry about a mix up.

Nick_C_S

buck460XVR said: "I advise you to limit max loads in your carbine to new or once fired brass due to cases being stretched because of bolt movement."

Buck, can you elaborate on ^this^ for me (us) please?

I'm considering lever-actions (probably Rossi) to compliment my handguns too (357 & 44). So I'm new to this stuff - I own no long guns.

Thanks.
-Nick.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by Nick_C_S:

Buck, can you elaborate on ^this^ for me (us) please?

From the Speer reloading manual....

All lever action .357 Magnum rifles have bolts that lock at the rear. This allows the bolt to spring slightly during firing, stretching the case. Use only new or once fired cases for maximum loads.

Hamour

I found best performance with small rifle primers in my loads for my Marlin Carbine max loads. I color the bottom of the loaded round with a red magic marker. See a red primer do not shoot it in a revolver.

The Carbine shines with heavier bullets and max loads (160 to 180 gr)

I shot a deer or two with the 158 gr hollow points and always got explosive performance which was not good when deer hunting. Was more satisfied with soft nosed or heavy cast bullets

This is a NOE product which is a copy of the Ranch Dog 180 gr bullet and it works great in my carbine cast out of 95-2.5-2.5 Lead-Tin-Antimony mix. It has been a great bullet for me

My Toy

I've been shooting my Marlin 1894C /w Leupold 1-4x scope with 158 gr. Hornady XTP hollow point, 16.2 grs W296, CCI-550 in Starline cases. Last fall chronographed this load at 1706 fps (average of ten shots) at 45 degrees F.
I don't hunt only punch paper so I don't know how this would stack up as a hunting load but the accuracy is very good-- this rifle/load combo will shoot 3 shot groups under 2" (some as small as 1-1/4") at 100 yds all day long.

mxsailor803

Personally, I would not start with that load in a carbine. Just much possibility for a serious failure. Not saying it would happen. Just not worth it to me.