.357 mag bullet deformed

loademwell

Yup, Deformed. These are some old projectiles that I got from a guy about a year ago. They are/were .356.5 HP jacketed. I sent them through my brass polisher to see if I could clean them up a bit. They came out looking OK. (they were covered in oil and dirt) Now that they are out, they all kept their base size fine, but the lead for the HP is a bit rough looking...
Big question is: Most weigh right around 148 GR. +/- 3 grains. Yea that is a 3 Not .3
Are these safe to shoot? Looking to load them behind some green dot. What data do I go with? the Lee manual is showing data for 148 wad cutter at 4.6 5.1 But nothing else with Green dot in the 146 gr Jacketed or 150 gr. lead, or jacketed.

Thanks guys....

mikld

Let's look at this from the other side. Why would you not shoot them? What is wrong with the bullets that might lead to damage to you or your gun? Rough lead at the tip ain't gonna hurt anything as long as the rest of the bullet ain't gouged up and full of grit...

Nick_C_S

They sound loadable to me.

Specifically, what are they? A 148g JHP? And a variance of 3 grains is more than usual, but not of much concern.

(BTW, their diameter would just be expressed as ".3565")

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Lyman 49th shows 145gr Win Silver Tip with Blue Dot, 11.1gr max, 146gr Speer JHP at 11.5gr max and 140gr Speer HP at 11.9gr max.

Nick_C_S

I've got my old Speer #10 out (4th printing; May 1982).

This publication is obsolete; and thus, should not be considered load data/advice. It is for historical reference only.

For 357 Magnum, 140g JHP, it shows Green Dot running from 7.7g (1180 fps) to 8.2g (1238 fps).

It has a 146g Jacketed SWC section (gosh, I sure miss those); but no load data for Green Dot.

For the 158g JHP & JSP, it shows Green Dot running from 7.0g (1055 fps) to 7.5g (1103 fps).

trapper9260

I say since they are jacket go with that data and use the start load and work your way to where it will shoot the way you like.do test loads to start like about 4 or 5 rounds ,I would not worry like others stated on the nose.as long the rest are ok of the bullet.