357 mag ammo in a sp101

HighValleyRanch

Buffalobore Outdoorsman 180 grain Keith style hardcast .357 magnum. Probably the hottest Commericial loading you will find.
From another thread:
out of my Kimber K6, the 2" model. 1280 average for around 650 ME ft. lbs with the 180 grain HC.

rock185

Don't know how you might define "best", but the Buffalo Bore 180 HVR mentions is the most powerful factory or handloaded ammo I can recall ever using in a .357 revolver. It actually does the advertised 1400 FPS in my 4" revolvers, and in a 5.5"Ruger Bisley 1514 FPS, believe it or not. So if your "best" is defined as some combination of velocity, momentum, and likely serious penetration, the BB HC/G.C. 180 might be worthy of consideration...

CDR_Glock

Underwood ammunition is also pretty stout.

I’d check the ammunition specs first since they usually recommend a large frame revolver such as a Redhawk or Ruger Super Redhawk. Buffalo bore is what I use in a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, Ruger Toklat 6 Shot 454 Casull, or Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

NoSecondBest

What barrel length? Adjustable sights? What’s in those woods....grizzled, black bear, moose...anything dangerous? Everyone gave you the biggest, baddest ammo they could think of but never asked you what you might use it for. I carry a 101 myself but I load for the potential needs.

mrt949

Fixed sights 2 .25 ,4.4 with adj.
if I Shoot something I want it to go down
I have been shooting revolvers ,contenders , xp 100 for years
Now I want to walk with confidence .

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

And I'll disagree.

Hard cast is brittle. Have you ever heard of deforming copper jacketed FMJ? Harder than hard cast if all copper too. Hard cast can shatter. FMJ would deform.

So if you are going hard cast route, I suggest saving dough and just getting hot FMJ. Fiocchi, etc.

XTP is the hunting hollow point in 357 as it is designed to have limited expansion. I think that makes XTP the best for personal defense if you are worried about animals. Recall, 380, 9mm, 40, 45 FMJ can all fall within 30" or so in gel with variation between calibers by loading.

Best? I think a hot XTP....or...Gold Dot.

SP101 is small. Shooting a super hot Buffalo Bore might not be gaining you a single thing compared to any other abilities of FMJ.

But I hike in Alaska and weekly in Utah. Never needed a gun. What do I know :)

HighValleyRanch

Maybe good enough for cougar or turkeys, but not a big black bear!...unless you are a lottery winner that day!:D

Best to chrono the stuff and really see what energy it has. It won't be anywheres close to the BB loads!

44 AMP

Staff
Hard cast is brittle.

Only if done improperly.

"hard" cast is actually a range of hardness, if you find one that is brittle, don't use it. I've been shooting "hard" cast bullets since the 70s, have seen some deform more than others, some not at all. Never ONCE saw one shatter.

wild cat mccane

We could endlessly discuss hard cast hardness--without have a clue if it's even right per manufacturer.

The truth is FMJ with a copper jacket are going to do the same thing as hard cast. Hornady even makes a "thick" copper jacketed FMJ for this reason.

FMJ vaporizes on steel backstops, but it's not doing that in an animal even on bone from a handgun round.

An all copper round is going to perform better (ie do nothing) than a hard cast round. 380 Lehigh penetrator even can defeat ballistic glass without deforming.

But again, the FMJ isn't doing anything else either.

I won't argue it endlessly, but hard cast is marketed as the "outdoor" round...but it's marketing given FMJ and new all copper Defender/Penetrator bullets. More marketing is that they have a flat meplat which isn't doing anything in a handgun round.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...a big black bear..." Yogi isn't armoured. Even a big blackie will drop if hit in the right place. However, an FMJ is not suitable for any game, Even those with 2 legs. FMJ's do not expand.
And, depending on the barrel length, you will lose velocity.
Rummage around here. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
"...best loaded ammo I can buy..." You must try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your revolver shoots best. The price means nothing.

wild cat mccane

But the argument for hard cast is it stays intact, no?

By that logic, I think, well....isn't that why FMJ isn't labeled good for hunting? So how is hard cast good for outdoors but FMJ is bad for outdoors. Makes no sense...to me.

I did say XTP is probably best if you thing your shooting an animal in defense from an SP101. XTP is all about limited expansion and therefore doesn't get the preferred massive expansion of HST/Gold Dot for personal defense rounds while XTP will travel a bit more.

Maybe an Semi Jacketed like American Eagle, but...I don't know I find SJHP all that compelling either as it's a bit of the worst of both words non of the benefits from either.

I'd call an adequately warm XTP round. Note, super rod FPS XTP can under penetrate as XTP can only open so much no matter how fast it goes. It's not just about FPS. When a round opens, how large it can open, if it will break up at a certain level of speed, when it breaks up...all different per round.

Meh.

The Remington 125gr SJHP is known to be a thumper/the bane of throat erosion in the past. A thought too.

Last edited:

arquebus357

Yes, let's argue about what is the most powerful 357 ammo available. I don't think the most powerful 357 ammo is something I would want to be shooting out of my little Ruger SP101.

DWFan

The Buffalo Bore 180gr hardcast bullet is made by Rim Rock Bullets. There is no issue with shattering or fragmentation.

jrothWA

My experience from hiking the WA Cascades north of Seattle / Everett area, I have carried a 4" Ruger SS6, with both Hornady 140gr XTP, in chamber and speed-loaders {2X}.
Also, contact the Sierra ballisticians and was recommended to buy the Federal 180gr Hot-Cast rounds, If I wanted a good hunting round. Sometimes I would carry a COLT GM, and if I hand-loaded use the heaviest FMJ at the best velocity I could handle for a carry load.
I asked about the Hornady 230 gr FMJ-FP and was encourage to use those.

Never did have any problems, but other I meet indicate that they had spotted cougars pacing them. Just keep ayes andears open to avoid animal [four-footed] situation.
two-legged were always a concern.

Adventurer 2

I once bought a box of Buffalo Bore 357. Shot two rounds in a SW M60. Opened the cylinder and unloaded the remaining 3 rounds. Nobody can ever convince me BB isn’t over charged - I’ve never experienced as much flash and recoil from a 357 round. Gave away the remaining 18 rounds. BB gets my vote for the most powerful 357.

wild cat mccane

Sure, sure.

But "best load I can buy" is the question.

The answer is a Lehigh 140gr Penetrator all copper for depth, a Barnes XPD/XPB all copper for expansion, or XTP for all around.

I think Federal Vital-Shol with a Barnes all copper gave the biggest expansion and penetration in Luckygunner.

I forgot Gold Dot needs 4" to really work.