357 ammo?

EMS dude

I have just picked up my 357. It's a 4"stainless Taurus. It's nice to have a wheelgun again, It gets so boring shooting my old Glock-17.

Anyway, I need to know what you guys would carry as a defensive round? Thanks.

EMS dude

Arub thanks for the reply. I have heard that I should stay in the 125 grain range.

Anybody know where i can get ballistic info on-line?

Rob96

In my SP101 I carry either Win. 110gr JHP or Federal 125gr HiShoks. In my Ruger KGP-141 I carry 145gr Win. Silvertips.

Jim March

Here's an interesting thought:

Somebody recently tested the ProLoad 155grain 10mm in clothed gelatin, and got nearly unbelievable results: average expansion measured just over 1.1". That's right, over an inch :eek:.

ProLoad uses the Speer Gold Dot projectile.

Their .357Magnum 158grain load also uses a Gold Dot. Ballistics (both weight and speed) are right in the same ballpark as that 10mm load. Assuming they grouped OK in my gun, I'd seriously consider these...

Lone Star

I like Hydra-Shok, and it is very proven in law enforcement. I have some 130 grain, but usually carry the 158 grain, because I want penetration into vehicles and into large, fierce dogs. Federal designed the 130 grain load with the idea that it would be used by civilians, who would usually be shooting into the frontal chest of a holdup man. Probably works okay in that role, but don't know how deep it will drive in crossbody shots or in big dogs, who have very tough musculature.

Recall the penetration problem the FBI had in Miami? I factor that in as I seek ample expansion.

Hydra-Shok shoots very well in my S&W M66. I also like Gold Dot, but the copper jacket tarnishes and looks bad after the rounds have been carried in the gun for weeks at a time. And I'm unsure how quickly the 158 grain Gold Dot opens. I don't use 125 grain .357's. Too erosive to the forcing cone of revolvers, and may not penetrate enough, depending on the bullet in question.
125 grain ammo was the reason why Smith had to bring out the L-frame guns; it was wrecking K-frames when used heavily. But factory (S&W) reps told me that K-frame Magnums endure much better when fired with 158 grain ammo.

Lone Star

Scarborough

I also use 158 Hydra-shoks. If that is not an option for you try that Win ammo that V- fib mentioned. Another consideration might be the medium velocity 125gr .357 load by Remington. Lower recoil and decent accuracy in a S&W 586 I had.

scotjute

I use 158 grn bullets in mine 6" barrell Ruger Security Six. At present use JSP, not becuase they're the "best" but becuase they're the most accurate bullets I've found for my combination of the way I shoot and my gun. Tried the 110 and 125 grn. but accuracy (for my combination) was lacking.
A good starting point for most .357's would probably be a 158 grn. hollowpoint.

EMS dude

Thanks for all the advice. Sometimes picking ammo is harder thatn picking the gun.

Any thoughts on the 125 grain Cor-Bon?

Guy B. Meredith

Re: "Any thoughts on the 125 grain Cor-Bon?

Yeah. They're great for scaring everyone including the shooter. Self defense rounds aren't necessarily juiced up that high. Remingtons are supposedly quite mild, though I've not used them.

106RR

One of the most accurate loads in my SP101 is the 158 gr Blazer jhp. Recoil is heavy but not terrible. I will surely try the Rem 125gr GS when I find them. FBI loads arenot accurate in my gun. Is this common?
Mike

MK11

I like the 158 grain Blazers too but I've seen the casings stick tight in a S&W 686+ after firing. Could release the cylinder but had to poke the casing out with a pencil.

I like the 110 grain and the 125 grain loads, both have seen a lot of action with Border Patrol, various PDs, and seem to have a good rep. I think they've got plenty of penetration. I like the 158 grain too and want to experiment with some of the middleweights. Hard to go wrong with a .357 mag.

scotjute

fudgie ghost
I happened to have a Hornady chart available.
Their heaviest : 158 grn. Vel. = 1250 fps

Their fastest : 125 grn. Vel. = 1500 fps

Happen to have some 180 grn. ammo at home. If I remember correctly their velocity is in the 1150-1250 fps. range.
Several companies make 110 grn cartridges. They should be topping the 1500 fps vel. mentioned above. Someone else will update this.