.357 & .358 Diam Cast Loaded Into 9mm

jtmckinney

I have two different cast bulets from local casters.

One sells at a LGS, labled 9/38 125 TC. These measure .357 diam. Can I load these into 9mm? Loading manuals I have call for .356 diam for 9mm. One thousands of an inch isn't much but thought I would ask. I am planning to try these first.

The other is from a private caster with a little different oglive but would probably feed. These measure .358 diam. Would these possibly be dangerous?

Both these shoot very well in 38 Specials and are quality bullets.

I have a RCBS bullet sizer for cast bullets. I got it for a good deal and really haven't learned how to use it yet but it doesn't look to be too difficult. Maybe I need to run these thru this tool with a .356 diam die. Would this cause a problem with a bullet with lube already in the lube grooves?

Thanks for any replies.

Nick_C_S

I don't load a lot of 9mm lead. And that's mostly because their accuracy tends to seriously suck.

And I believe the reason is that they're sized to .356".

I haven't tested the theory yet (again, because I don't load a lot of lead 9mm), but the next time I am going to try with .357" slugs. And I would bet a dime to a dollar that it will solve the problem.

For whatever reason, 9mm is supposed to be .355. But it would seem the manufacturers like to make the bores bigger than spec.

LE-28

Yes, actually you can use .358 lead bullets in 9mm. Lyman's 45 edition actually has a recipe for 158 gr cast bullets with mold # 358311 for bullseye, Red dot, Unique, and Herco powders for 9mm. This is a 1972 manual and 9mm back then usually had oversized bores anyways.

The best way would be to slug your barrel to see what size it actually is. But even if it is at .355", .002" over bore will not hurt a chamber or barrel but I would not use lead any harder than 12 brn. Nothing harder.

125gr lead TCs @ .357" should work fine and be accurate. Will they lead your barrel? Who knows. You'll just have to try them. If your pistol is relatively new I wouldn't go over .357" until you slug your barrel.

Clark

The max load Alliant lists for Power Pistol 9mm 147 gr is 5 gr.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=147&shellid=23&bulletid=27
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

But if I throat the chamber of a typical 9mm pistol for a longer bullet [1.169" OAL, 0.1" chamber wall thickness, 0.19" feed ramp intrusion] and resize the loaded ammo, I can shoot 158 gr JHP XTP .357" or 158gr LSWC .358" with 11 gr Power Pistol.

If the ammo is not resized the primer will pierce at 8 gr.
The ammo must be able to drop in and out of the chamber, with no interference in the fit between the bullet and chamber nor between the case and chamber over where the bullet is directly under the case. Other than a crimp, there should be no impedance to the bullet starting to move.

The pistol does not seem to know the difference between the JHP and LSWC.

jtmckinney

I loaded 50, 9/38 125 TC .357 diam yesterday. They look good and will chamber. I will try them this week. I am thinking I will save the .358 diam for 38 Special and 357 Mag loading and use the .357 diam for 9mm, at least for the short term. My son has 9mm bullets from the same manuf he uses. I will measure these next opportunity and maybe try some of them.

Thanks for the replies!
James