.357-.358" Cast Bullets for .380 ACP? Any sources?

FrankenMauser

I recently slugged the bore of a Taurus PT-138 (.380 ACP), due to some strange wear in the rifling grooves.

The slug measures out at .3565" across one set of 'lands' on the slug (grooves in the bore), .3575" across one set of 'lands', and .3580" across the last set of 'lands'. To verify that the slug didn't expand to that size after being pushed out of the bore, I measured the crown. It came in within .0005" of my previous measurements.

So, instead of a standard .355" bore; I have a .357" freak.

With a limited supply of cast bullets in the .356", 85-97 grain range to begin with; I have been completely unable to find any suitable bullet to try in this over-size bore.

I was hoping to find something in .357" or .358", to see if they will perform as a good plinking bullet. I am willing to try almost any bullet profile, but haven't found a single candidate. RN, TC, FP, HP... I'll try anything, as long as it's cheap. I won't cast them myself. Right now, it is just not an option.

So, does anyone have any ideas on what to do with this pistol? Any leads on cast bullets in the diameter and weight I need? Any PT-138 barrels laying around, that don't have over-size bores?

SL1

Another thing to check is the chamber and throat diameters.

If they are also oversized, say 0.358" throat, then you can do what you are thinking about doing. But, if the throat is 0.355" or the chamber is tight, then you could have trouble chambering rounds loaded with 0.358" bullets. Just poking a .38 Special or .357 magnum cartridge in the chamber should probably tell you if it is going to work.

I don't know of any source for suitable bullets,other than getting a mold for the bullet weight you want and sizing them to your specification. You could try Cowboy Action shooters, since they like light bullets and shoot a lot of .38 Specials, but I think the bullets they use would still be heavy for a .380.

SL1

orionengnr

Just a stupid question:

Why don't you send either the pistol or the barrel back to Taurus and get a barrel that is correctly sized?

That is where the problem originated, and that is where it should be resolved.

Just my .02...

FrankenMauser

JibJab- Thanks for the link. I may have to try some of the Penn products.

Frank- I don't need any .380 brass, but I'm always looking for a good deal on more. :D

As to sending it back to Taurus..... it's not an option. This is an original PT-138 Millenium. As such, it is considered an 'obsolete' model by Taurus. Taurus told me they would replace the pistol, if it did not meet their requirements. After the problems I have already dealt with, I'm not going to give Taurus another chance to give me a malfunctioning weapon. I only keep this one around, since I managed to get it in reliable, working order with some minor gunsmithing. Taurus's warranty reminds me of the 'Guarantee' scene from the movie "Tommy Boy".

I do appreciate the responses, though.