.356 advice needed

Jack O'Conner

The 356 is fading quickly into history. A very well built middle-bore that failed to become popular in the marketplace.

I have an opportunity to purchase a lightly used .356 for $600. but am wary about losing money over a period of time. I'm hoping to own a rifle that will not drop in value because ammo availability is a concern.

Do you think these hunting rifles will jump in value same as the older 348 Winchesters?

Jack

Scorch

I doubt it. The Winchester Model 71 and the .348 were accepted as the highest quality lever gun and the most powerful cartridge available in a lever gun. Winchester 94s made by USRAC are not so admired, they were for the most part economy guns marketed as such as the day of the lever gun was fading fast. The 356 never really caught the attention of the shooting public, much like the other offerings in the USRAC 94s, the 307 and the 7-30 Waters.

If you find one you really like and you can get a screaming deal on it ($600 is too much), pick it up, but I doubt it will ever bring more than you pay for it.

Quincunx

If it's in good shape and you like it, I think that $600 wouldn't be an atrociously bad deal for a 94 Big Bore (just kind of a "most definitely could have done better" deal). Nonetheless, I wouldn't take $600 for mine. I have it topped with a vintage Weaver V4.5, and it has shot quite well with 200 and 250 grain factory loads (the latter long discontinued, AFAIK) as well as handloads with the Speer 220 grain flatnose slug. Quite agree that the chance of significant value appreciation is pretty low.