.35 Whelen Handi rifle

PawPaw

No personal experience with that caliber, per se, but they've sold a heck of a lot of them in Louisiana over the past couple of years. Three of my co-workers own them to take advantage of a weird Louisiana law that allows .35 caliber, single shot rifles with an exposed hammer to be used during a particular part of the deer season. I blogged about our weird Primitive Weapons Season at the link.

While I don't own a .35 Whelen Handi Rifle, I do own four of the little rifles, in .223, .308, .30-30, and .45-70. Some of them are capable of surprising accuracy and all of them are fully capable hunting rifles.

Guv

I would love to have one, with a nice thick recoil pad!:eek: My first center fire rifle was a pawn shop $65 H&R Topper, 22 Hornet, sweet little gun. I also had a Mannlicher stocked 30-30 that I used with 130gr Speer HP's.

Paul B.

Don't have the particular rifle in questiomn but I do have three rifles in .35 Whelen. Nuff said?
Paul B.

FrankenMauser

Since no owners are coming forward to bring it up, I'll do the dirty deed....

Between 2008 and 2010, there was a production run of .35 Whelen Handi-Rifles that had bad chambers. They were cut with a worn chamber reamer that had the wrong shoulder dimensions.
In addition, there was a run of receivers that had transfer bar issues.

There were a lot of problems encountered with the bad receivers, but the bad receivers with bad .35 Whelen barrels were a nightmare for their owners (often times being worthless right out of the box).

The older rifles and newer rifles don't suffer from the same problems. So, if you want a .35 Whelen Handi-Rifle, make sure it's of recent production (or used and preferably 2006 or older).

You'll want to look for a serial number prefix of P through Y for used models (P, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y - they skipped Q). Receivers with anything prior to a P prefix is not rated for .35 Whelen and should be avoided like the plague if there's a .35 Whelen barrel on it.
For new models, serial numbers after 2008 are prefaced with "CBA". You can ask your dealer how long they've had it, or call H&R for a production date.

H&R vs CVA

I'm done with H&R. They can be a decent rifle with some work, but they will shot loose over time with any high pressure cartridge. 30-30, 22 Hornet, and a few maybe the exception. Every H&R I've owned needed a trigger job. H&R told me in a phone call the as long as the trigger pull falls under 7lbs, they ship it out. I've had several that were much heavier than 7 lbs. Another reason, weak safety strap. I've never broken one, but I've seen one break on a few dry fires. My local GS confirmed its a problem they've always had. Fit and Finish just suck. They're heavier than they have to be. I'm happy with the ones I have after putting some work into them, but I'm not getting anymore.

Just picked up a CVA scoped combo in 7mm-08. Fit and finish are much better. Trigger breaks at 3lbs. Came with iron sights and a 1 piece scope base/mount. "Plastic" stocks are nice and nearly atomic blast proof. Rifle feels less than 7lbs scoped (I haven't weighed it). All in all its a real nice shooter for $209 on sale. Non-combo models were $179 on sale. Shooting 1.5" groups with cheap ammo. I expect much better with quality carts and handloads when I get dies and bullets. Even with the goofy looking release mechanism, I like them. I hope to find one in 30-06. They're available in 35 Whelen. No word on shooting loose, but the rifle just seems tougher than the H&R.

Last edited: