35 Rem Lever

308Loader

Looking to start loading for my 35 rem. I am using lee press, hornady dies and rcbs shell holder (I know, was all I could find...). Looking at powder choices, I have on hand IMR4895 IMR4064. Primers I Have CCI BR2. Picked up some 35Cal .358" 200gr RN-interlock. Once fired Hornady cases trimmed to 1.910

Witch powder would be better 4895 or 4064. I have an old recipe for 3031 that grand pappy used.

CCI BR2, FED210, REM9 1/2 primers? Interchangeable for this cartage?

308Loader

Might help, I'm loading for a marlin lever 16" I think. Shoots new box leverloution great 50-100Yrds.

Also, what gives with the .357-.358 OD

Last edited:

1stmar

Have to check my notes but 36gr 4064 over 200gr Sierra pro hunter was clocking at 1850fps I believe. Very accurate. I'm sure you could push hotter.

condor bravo

4895 and 4064 are pretty much twin brothers; when out of one you can usually just jump to the other with even the same powder charge. However 4895, as well as 3031, will give more velocity if that is a concern. The 200 gr .358 bullet is pretty much standard for the .35 Remington. If interested in trying cast bullets for the .35 lever action, an excellent 200 gr FNGC (gas checked), RCBS #35-200-FN, sized to .358 can be obtained from Western Bullet Company. But when using cast bullets an extra piece of equipment is needed. That would be a Lyman .35 caliber neck expander M die for flaring case mouths to avoid lead shearing or collapsing case necks during seating, available from Midway or other sources for about $20. Montana Bullet Works usually has the same cast .35 bullet but were out the last time I checked.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
IMR 3031, 4064, 4320, & 4895 are all suitable, top loads vary by a couple grains of powder and a few fps. The main difference is that some rifles will shoot better groups with one powder than another, even using the same bullets at the same speeds.

The only way to know, is to shoot them.

A fellow I hunted with back in the 70s had a 336 in .35Rem. 20" barrel model and it was a deer dumping gun! The .35 doesn't look like all that much on paper, but it seems to hit all out of proportion in the game fields.

The biggest thing to watch out for, loading the .35 Rem is the shoulder. It doesn't have much of one, and that's where it headspaces. Also watch your crimp.

For a Marlin lever gun, you want ammo that is full power, chambers reliably and feeds smoothly, not the hottest loads possible.