342PD or 340PD

DTown24

I shot the 342PD and did not think that it was all that bad (recoil). I am having lots of trouble actually finding a new or barely used 342PD so I am left with the 340PD. I am looking for something that I can carry everywhere that is light and has some power to it. So I have ruled out just about everything else and have decided between the 342PD and 340PD. I have never owned a revolver and have always wanted one. This will sometimes be my primary weapon as well as a backup at times. I WILL NOT shoot .357's out of the 340PD (or at least I think that I will not). Anyone know where I can pick up a new/slightly used 342PD? Gunsamerica.com has one, but it has the hi-viz sites and I do not want those sites. Will the added 1.2 ounces in weight between the 342PD and 340PD make any difference? I will likely carry this in a pocket holster 95% of the time. Thanks

Clemson

gunsamerica.com has several 342 and 342 PD models. I have had a 342 for several years (essentially since they came out), and it has served me well. The 340 is essentially the same gun with the Scandium included in the frame metal for strength. If you can't find a 342, try a 340.

The 342 and 342 PD (as well as their 340 counterparts) are alone in the "pocket revolver" niche. They are significantly lighter than the 442/642 guns. For pocket carry the 20% weight savings makes a big difference. For belt carry, the difference is much less obvious. I do belt-carry my 342 when the weather will allow it, and I generally forget that it is there altogether.

Stick to your guns (pun intended), and get what you want.

Clemson

Sir William

I went to check a couple of Js out today. The 442 is nice. The 642 is better in every area for my tastes, opinion and money. I still prefer hammers. I am probably going to go with the Model 60 in 357 Magnum. Lightweight is OK. Controllability is better. The M60 simply came back to point better for me. I liked the adjustable sights and ability to use single action.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If you're going to stick to .38 Spl loads, there's little to choose from between the two. Whichever you find a good deal on first would be fine.

Have you had the opportunity to try firing +P loads out of a Ti/Sc J-frame yet?