titanium." At 12 ounces , recoil could be
painful? Can you compare it to the 15
ounce , "642"? Rugers are too heavy ,
Taurus , nothing but bad experiences.
Colt = Hugo.

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

Prichard

I can only say that I can definitely tell the next day after I've shot my 642 for 50rds. I 'hear' the 342 is worse (was it here or gunspot.com). Lead bullets can't be shot out of the 342 because recoil unseats them. I love my 642. It is quite handy and didn't cost a mint like the 342s that I saw and compared it to before buying it.

Neal

While I cannot compare it to a 642 because I have not fired one, I do have a 337 and the recoil is definitly painfull. Using Pacmyer
Compac grips, the kind that cover the backstrap, takes the pain out of shooting, but it also make the gun less easy to conceal in a pocket. It's a gun to be carried a lot and fired very little. At least by me it will be fired very little. :)

JJR

Feel the Pain! Be one with the Pain! ;)

I love my 342. Maybe it's just me and my shooting style, but I find it to have a more manageable recoil than the all steel model 36 I carried for years. Yes, the light weight makes for quite a kick, but because of the light weight the recoil seems to go away as quickly as it comes. I'd call it more of a "snappy" recoil rather than a heavy recoil. This is only with +P ammo by the way... Standard loads aren't a problem at all.

A day at the range will leave you with that "just used the weedeater" feeling in your hands, but a self-defense situation isn't a day at the range. If you need to fire 50-100 rounds at a BG, you brought the wrong gun anyway.

For me, a sharp recoil is a reasonable trade-off for the ultra-light weight. It makes carrying a pleasure rather than a challenge.
Good luck with your decision.

SHORTFUSE

JJR ,

"Feel the pain , be one with the pain ,
just used the weedeater feeling."

Funny stuff! Do you think the 15oz. of
the "642" will make the recoil more
pleasant? (342Ti is 12oz.)

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

JJR

SHORTFUSE,

I havn't shot the 642, but I have a hard time imagining 3oz making that much of a difference in recoil. Weight is just one of several factors where recoil is concerned. Design of the frame, Style of grips, powder charge and bullet weight are others. As the 342 and 642 are otherwise identical except for weight, I think the recoil differences will be slight.

Bottom line: both guns give a healthy kick. One just kicks a little tiny bit more. If you think the 342 might be too much for you, then the 642 probably is as well. If it we're my decision, the extra $100 the titanium model runs would be more of a factor than the recoil. Hope this helps, good luck!

Prichard

Anyone shoot lead factory or lead reloads thorugh a 642? It was one of the selling points that the 642 had when I bought, but I haven't tried any yet (I don't reload, just buy cheap factory).

JJR

Prichard,

I occasionally shoot lead cast reloads through my 342Ti with no problems. Just make sure they're standard pressure or less. Smith & Wesson says not to shoot +P high pressure cast lead in the airlight series because of the "unseating" problem you mentioned. They say standard pressures are OK. I shoot a lot of the cheap re-loaded wadcutters that are always available at my range. They seem to be loaded to less than standard pressures and never give me any problems.

Covert Mission

I had both an Airweight Bodyguard and a 640 Centennial in stainless. After shooting the Airweight a few times— OUCH!— I decided to dump it, and keep the 640.

I think I screwed up. Should have kept the BG and sold the 640. Neither are guns I shoot much, and the Airweight (or the Ti model) fills a special niche. If I carry and weight not the prime consideration, I'll carry the Glock 27. If weight is the main consideration (or I need pocket carry), the Airweight gets the nod. I guess I'll look around for another Airweight of the new Titanium gun, and dump the 640.

Although the recoil is unpleasant in the ltweight models, I don't think you'll notice in an up close 'n personal hostile encounter. Andenaline dumpsa re a good thing!

Nestor Rivera

Titanium:

Pro- Easy to carry

Con- Ouch, darn darn
NO reloads

I have only shot the S&W 38 a couple of times
but darn it does bite, maybe if they ported it aggrasivly. I would like to try the .22lr with 22HpV ammo just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.