338 lapua purchase question

billythekid007

I am going to go for it and cant decide between ar-30 or the rem.700 police.

anyone have any thoughts towards this or any info on one over the other..

please help. :confused:

thanks in advanced!

Fat White Boy

My wife just ordered me a Rem 700 in .338 Lapua for my birthday. It won't be here for 4-6 weeks. I was trying to figure out how she knew what to order then I found out my son is involved. I think I know who will be shooting it more than me....

deepcore

Cool. Happy Birthday!

I'm curious about cost of ownership of a 338 Lapua.
What are the powder weight/charges for a round (of what powder)?
Been wanting to do the math.
Also what's the average life expectancy of 338 brass?

Fat White Boy

A box of 20 .338 Lapua goes for about $120. Lapua brass is supposed to be good for 10 reloads. My friends have sent me a few load specs, most have about 90 grains of powder...

csmsss

I'd recommend you also take a long look at Savage's 110 BA in .338LM. Looks like a great rifle at a great price.

no-bama

I plan on buying a 110BA in 300win mag. it's by far the most gun for the money, because at 6 dollars a bullet, 338 lapua is to rich for my blood. I'd rather shoot 50BMG at 2.50 a round.

Mr Lucky

I plan on buying a 110BA in 300win mag. it's by far the most gun for the money, because at 6 dollars a bullet, 338 lapua is to rich for my blood. I'd rather shoot 50BMG at 2.50 a round.

New Hornady 50 BMG 750 gr A-Max is more like $4.50 to $5.00 per rd.

billythekid007

I have a 50bmg and a 300 win... I realize I dont "need" the 338... but thats whats on the list...

I looked at the savage 110... it is a nic rifle.. but I have read some mixed reviews on it...

Mr Lucky

I have a 50bmg and a 300 win... I realize I dont "need" the 338... but thats whats on the list...

Sako TRG42 or McMillan TAC-338 if money is no object.
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical-tac-338.php#a

tac338-package.jpg

Hig789

I agree with the Sako TRG. I have been drooling over the gun for a long time but gun and ammo are too rich for my blood.

Mr Lucky

Realistically just under a mile (1600 meters) about 1200 meters for the average sniper with the right rifle, ammo and spotter.

Wildalaska

Based on what I have seen, used, and heard from experienced 338 Lap shooters the hierarchy of factory guns is as follows:

1. AW
2. Blaser Tactical
3. SakoTRGS or Barrett
4. Armalite
5. Rem 700
6. Dont bother

I personally would get the Blaser only because you can toss a 308 or 223 barrel on it for practice.

Warmly

WildtheyarebiglboomersandnoisywithoutacanAlaska ™©2002-2010

Wildalaska

Is the Blaser the bullpup style?

No thats the Desert tactical, which is nice too and I's put right after the Armalite (I forgot to add it)

Sincerely:

WildtheyareswitchbarrelstoAlaska ™©2002-2010

Mr Lucky

How far would you need to travel from Anchorage AK to find public land that you could shoot a long range rifle that could travel well over a mile on a good day?

A/C Guy

I'm curious about cost of ownership of a 338 Lapua.
What are the powder weight/charges for a round (of what powder)?
Been wanting to do the math.
Also what's the average life expectancy of 338 brass?
Most powders are 90 to 109 grains. I'm using Hodgon US 869.
Buy Hornaday Brass, it is half the cost of Lapua Brass and almost everyone says that they can not tell a difference. BTW, they use the same shell holder for reloading. Other brands of brass do not. (Something unique to the .338 LM) With proper annealing, the cases last near forever, over 20 reloads easily. If you do not anneal, you'll get 8 to 10 reloads. At $2+ per piece, learn to anneal properly. I can shoot for about $.70 per reloaded round. New quality ammo is about $5 per round; off brand, non match grade is about $4 per round.

I have the Rem 700. I like the rifle. It shots 3/4" groups at 200 yards when I do my part. I had to bed mine, there was a 1/16" gap between the action and the front pillar block. I found the proper torque for the action screws for best consistency and accuracy. I modified the stock for prone shooting. I have an extended scope base so the scope is a couple inches forward of the normal mounting spot. For proper prone position, it is perfect.

The Savage is another great option, but it costs several hundred more. The Rem 700 is a real sleeper considering it's price. Every one is made in the custom shop. The trigger is better then then normal Rem 700 trigger.