.338 Lapua Mag-how bad is the recoil REALLY?

dfaugh

been kinda lusting after an AR-30 in .338 Lapua mag...strictly for target work (probably NOT any kind of competition) from 200 yrds, to as far as I can find a safe place to shoot. Just attracted to seeing what I can hit W-A-A-A-Y out there.

However, a couple years ago I seperated my right shoulder, and it still bothers, so I'm more than a bit recoil sensitive. I have a (heavy) sporterized Mauser, still in 8x57, with ported barrel and a decent recoil pad, and I can tolerate that for 40-50 rounds, ditto for buddies Garand (which I find pleasantly light recoiling)... Would the .338 Lapua with a muzzle break, be a whole lot worse than that? And, because of intended use, weight isn't a factor, so I could add weight, recoil reducers, recoil pads, etc.

Can anyone speak from personal experience?

Big Yac

now I've never shot a .338 Lapua but I am wanting one. I read in one of my old American Rifleman mags that with the muzzle brake on, the AR-30's perceived recoil is about that of a.243....which if its anything like my .243 is pretty light.

esheato

I have a friend with a AR-30 in .338 Lapua Magnum. We shoot quite a bit with it. My first shot was a soda can at 300 yards. The recoil was surprisingly pleasant. That big 'ol muzzle break worked like a charm and the perceived recoil was not that significant.

On a side note...the bolt is turned down at such an angle that several of the right-handed shooters got rapped on the knuckles fairly hard upon firing the gun. Being a lefty myself, I had nothing but a big grin for that gun.

Ed

Zak Smith

I have shot a TRG-42 (338LM) with the Sako brake.

I would estimate its recoil as less than a 8x57JS non-sporterized Mauser with full power ammo.

It'll be a diffefrent story without a brake.

-z

mikikanazawa

I currently own a TRG-42 .338. It's a loud kaboom from the brake... guys next to me at the range don't like it much. Ammo's expensive. I shoot the Remington 700 .223 mostly for the 200 yard stuff.

Death from Afar

They are not bad from a heavy barrel. A mate of mine is a serious .338 guru- builds very nice Ruger #1's in that caliber and the light sporter weights are a bit of a handful. In a tactical rifle they really arnt too bad, espically with a half decent muzzle break. Having said that, we call muzzle break "loudners" ( opposite to a silencer) as they have a heck of a bark when fired. I would stress hearing protection at all times- they are deafening.

dfaugh

Thanks guys!

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem (with the muzzle brake)...I know its gonna be loud...I always wear hearing protection (although its a bit late now, I walk around saying HUH?? alot....No hearing protection, when I was young and stupid...And then there's the race cars, and hard rock music..Oh well..huh?) When shooting at the range, I'm sensitive to the guy next to me (The Mauser I mentioned, with the ported barrel is quite loud as well), but we usually go on weekdays when there's not too many people around.

Guess I gotta start saving my pennies!

NINE

If you put a break on it, the recoil is minimal.

Here's a vid of me shooting a "Timberwolf" in 338 Lapua (not mine :( )

:D

Check out the break doing it's job!

Nine and the Timberwolf(mov)

cgnmay27.sized.jpg

cgnmay28.sized.jpg

cgnmay29.sized.jpg

This peice of work was made by the good people at PGW DEFENCE TECHNOLOGIES INC.

http://www.pgwdti.com/id16.htm

osirus101

NINE - That was really impressive i think you just convinced me to buy one of them things didnt look like it kicked much more than a 30-06