.338 federal or short mag?

onlybrowning

Just the caliber. What would you pick. Will be for big whitetails, and maybe someday something bigger like elsk or moose, or caribou. I am torn between the options. Recoil is a mild concern, but but not too much. Also, I will be exclusively handloading it. What is your opinions? Let's hear it.

Colt46

.338 Federal

Not the barnburner that the short mags are, but will reliably do what you ask of it. I'm not so sure the short mags have been all that much of a success. They pack quite a punch in a small package, but why?
If the Federal enterprise dies you can still reload as parent brass will be quite easy to obtain.

srtrax

338 Federal ?

I am going to build a 338 federal for myself. I have a 338/06 that i love dearly, or should i say (deadly). I ran a thread asking if any one used the 338 Federal, and well guess not! If it comes even close to the 338/06 its o.k. with me. One of the main reasons i'm going this way is it will feed in the 1909 Argintine better than a short mag., less work on the feed rails. I'm thinking that Federal may come out with a cheeper version, even though i will also reload it, be nice to get cheaper for the brass! On the short mag., i'll bet someone will have an answer for ya, because i have not gone down this road (yet). It's not much of an answer, but the 308 case and a .338 bullet, should make a little better on recoil and shoot straight...I like the idea

taylorce1

If you are hanloading then I wouldn't look at either cartridges, unless you just have to have a short action rifle. Have you taken a look at the .338-06, I think it is a more versatile round than the .338 Federal. It can be loaded down to the .338 Federal velocities and comes very close to duplicating the .338 Win Mag in performance. I'm able to wring 2800+ fps out of mine using 200 grain Hornady SP and 210 grain Nosler's.

The best part about the .338-06 is that you will be able to use a wider variety of bullets. The longer magazine will allow you to load bullets that you wouldn't be able to load in the shorter action. Federal only offers cartridges in bullet weights from 180-210 grains, but are you going to lose too much case capacity if you load 225 and 250 grains? Is Federal using a non-canister powder that allows them to reach the published velocities, and are you going to be able to reproduce the same performance in your handloads?

In bolt actions the weight saved by a short action and the faster lock time as well really doesn't matter in most hunting situations. Were only talking a few ounces and tenths of seconds, not pounds and minuets. Now if we are talking a semi-auto or lever action platforms then go with the .338 Federal all the way.

As for the short magnum rifle cartridges, I'm sure they will get the job done. I just haven't seen anything that makes them any better than what is already out there. I have friends that hunt with them an love them but I still like my lack luster .270, .30-06, .338-06, and .35 Whelen. The just get the job done as long as I do my part.

boltgun71

.338 Federal

Not a huge fan of the short mags. I havent seen them make a huge improvement over our existing standard or magnum cartridges. The only one that has impressed me at all is the .300 WSM for long range target shooting in a short action rifle. I would pick the .338 Federal. Its nothing fancy, but just makes sense. With the exception of the .358 Win(which is a great cartridge itself), all the spawns of the .308 Win. have been very successful. Plus with the standard size bolt face you can always rebarrel it to something like .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, or .358 in the future if you wanted to or make a switch barrel rifle. The short mags are a little more difficult to find compatible calibers. This is a minor thing to point out but some people may take it into consideration for there rifle purchases. Plus I believe that the .338 Federal will have a greater magazine capacity than the short magnums if that matters. Just my 2 cents.

Crosshair

I think the 338 Federal will see it's share of the market. Instead of trying to throw 30 cal bullets at 22-250 velocities, resulting in all sorts of problems, they put a large aerodynamic bullet at a medium velocity.

It would be interesting to try and rechamber a Saiga 308 or M1A to this round. Would make a good bear gun. Big slug and faster than a lever gun.

DWARREN123

I think the .338 Federal would be a fine general purpose round for what you want. So would about 20 other calibers in this general range. The main thing is availability of ammo in your area and price.

Jseime

Well I am thinking that there is a slight chance that neither round will be around for a very long time but who knows. I just think that we are so flooded with new crap all the time that some of it is going to have to die off and the old standbys like the 06 will be left standing in the WSM ruins.

Overall the federal round burns less powder is going to be easier and cheaper to shoot. Given that it will be cheaper to shoot and you reload already I would go with that option.

Jimro

If you seriously plan on hunting elk then consider the short magnum options, if you are planning on a "once in a lifetime" elk hunt but plan on whitetails every year, get the 338 Federal.

What the magnums give you is longer range, which is good if you get a long shot across open area.

The 338 Federal is fine for elk, just keep the shots closer.

Jimro

el Divino

Chuck Hawks: http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm

"Federal took their new .338 choosing to maximize performance rather than control recoil. This will make for better advertising copy, which we are already seeing: "200 feet per second more velocity than a standard .308," and "provides the energy of a 7mm Rem. Mag."

"But there is potential danger in that course. The price to be paid for higher performance is, of course, increased recoil. I am convinced that heavy recoil, more than any other factor, is what has limited the popularity of all the previous standard medium bore cartridges, including the .33 Winchester, .348 Winchester, .35 Winchester, .356 Winchester, .358 Winchester, and .35 Whelen. It is my hope that the new .338 Federal can escape the same fate"

"It has been estimated in various places that about 20 ft. lbs. is the maximum amount of recoil energy that the average shooter can tolerate. Certainly anyone can shoot more accurately with a rifle that kicks less. Recoil is the problem that has plagued medium bore rifles since the invention of smokeless powder. While the .338 Federal generates less recoil than the magnum medium bore cartridges, it is still in excess of the theoretical 20 pound limit and very similar to the existing .338-06 A-Square in rifles of average weight. In a lightweight rifle, the recoil will be considerably greater, and probably quite unpleasant to the vast majority of shooters."

If it should be a 338 I will pick a 338-06. I'm seriosly thinking to rebarrel or rebore a Remington 7600.

srtrax

Go for it

If it should be a 338 I will pick a 338-06. I'm seriosly thinking to rebarrel or rebore a Remington 7600.

You'll be really pleased with the 338/06, recoil and performance, wish someone like Remington would do a 700 in this round, so more people would try it!

hatchet

Get a 338-06 or 35Whelen. With the 06 case you will be able to use heavier bullets if desired. The short mags hinder you as far a bullets go.

CarbineCaleb

Wouldn't something 'old fashioned' like a .30-06 or a .300 Win Magnum still do the trick and offer more selection/better priced ammo?

onlybrowning

I have all but decided on a .325 WSM, but I am really hoping that I can achieve good accuracy with it at starting load pressures (52,000-55,000psi). My experience tells me I will be stuck shooting hot loads for deer which is not my cup of tea. I wish I could afford two guns. :(

Jimro

For deer just download to a 200 grain bullet at 2500 fps, similar performance to the old 8x57. Looking at the reloading data from Hodgdon it looks like there are plenty of moderate loadings for deer, just use the starting load and keep it there.

Even such a "moderate" loading will handle elk just fine, just like the old 8x57.

Jimro

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you're not trying to play Ma Bell for the average distance to Bambi, there's no real point in loading to the max.

Off the cuff, any accurate load with a 180- or 200-grain bullet starting at around 2,300 or so is gonna give Bambi a serious case of the slobbers.

Art