.338 BAR or CZ/SAKO 9.3x62?

Deuce

I own an 1895 (.45-70), 1894 (.44mag), 700LS (.300rum), M70 (7mm), and a BAR (7mm).

Buying and shooting rifles has been a learning experience for me.

What I've learned is that I like the levers, but, I want something with a little more reach and I absolutely love my BAR. I don't care for the .300rum as, for me, it's a little over-the-top ... but, I'll keep it and shoot it at the range now and then ... if anything, just to remind myself of why I don't need anything that powerful.

I've been checking out the ballistics of different cartridges and availability of guns. I think the .375win is my ideal cartridge, unfortunately, unless I can find an old lever gun, I'm SOL. Anyhow, I'd prefer to get something NIB and I'd really like a semi-auto.

Basically, I ended up settling for the 9.3x62 as a close-to-ideal cartridge, although, depending upon the weight of the gun and the recoil pad, it may prove to be a bit more than I'd like ... but, that's a chance I'm willing to take. The next step down in 9.3 would be better (I forget exactly what it is, but, no matter), but, there's practically no available rifles.

However, I can't get over how much I love my BAR. I love the fit and finish, the feel of shooting it, and ... I don't know ... there's just something about a BAR. But, with my appetite for lead, the biggest bullet I can shoot in a BAR is .338win ... quite a bit more power than what I'd like. However, my 7mm BAR is a *****cat ... I presume due to the action soaking up a little recoil. So, it is conceivable, IMO, that the .338 BAR may be fine.

Ideally, I'd like to get a 9.3x62 BAR, but, whaddya gonna do?

As I've never shot a 9.3x62 or any .338, I'm guessing what the recoil may be like based solely on ballistic information as it compares to cartridges I have shot. So, if anyone's got some insight, I'm all ears.

I'm thinkin' I'll try the .338 BAR next as I believe I have a much higher chance of being happy with that and not wanting to buy another rifle (I need the money for my 1911 addiction). But, if I could find a reputable manufacturer who makes a nice 9.3x62 semi-auto, I'd be very interested.

Any other ideas for $800 or less? I'd prefer to not go the custom route ... too much money for an experiment. Anyone own a .338 BAR? Anyone own a 9.3x62?

Thanks.

BusGunner007

Get the BAR Stalker/B.O.S.S.-C.R. in .338 Win.Mag.

Sell or trade off the .300 RUM.
(You could trade it for a Browning BLR in 7mm Rem.Mag. for a unique set of 7's, one each in lever/bolt/auto...I'm one BLR away from that myself!)

The BAR / .338 would make you very happy, I'm sure.
Good Luck. :)

cheygriz

I've been hunting with, and shooting, a BAR Mark 11 in .338 for about 10 years now. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything made. You can't go wrong with a BAR.

My "other" hunting rifle is a 30-06 bolt gun, which will probably get traded off sooner or later for a BAR 30-06. Like you, I dearly love the BAR.

After owning the BAR, I seriously doubt that I'll ever buy another bolt gun.

I also have a Marlin .45-70 lever gun. Great timber gun, but it kills on one end and maims on the other!