.338-06 vs .35 Whelen

gmarr

Looking at this caliber range, no magnums, and wanted to see performance of each. Using a 200 or 225 grain bullet and distance will be under 200 yds. Bolt action rifle and hogs are target.

Was also looking at the .338 Federal but there doesn't seem to be much choice for rifles and the .338-06 appears to have a bit better ballistics. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MarkCO

Hogs, I'd look at the .338Federal again. Less expensive factory ammo and rifles. Can get it in a .308 pattern AR and at least the Savage 11 Hog Hunter .

But, my absolute favorite cartridge is the .338-06. I switched to it from a .30-06 for deer and elk about 10 years ago. The performance is impressive and the recoil is not harsh. While there is nothing wrong with the .35 Whelen, the .338-06 adds some accuracy and range. But for hogs under 200 yards, there is likely no difference worth discussing when it comes to actual performance.

Are you invested in a .308 or .30-06, straight up or as a parent case? If so, that is the way I would lean. If it was just hogs, or hogs and deer and you don't have either a .308 or .30-06 parent case already, I think I would go .338Fed, .35 Whelen and .338-06 in that order just based on cost and availability.

olddav

I have a 338-06 built on a Savage action and fitted with a Shilen barrel. Just shot it at 600 yards for the first time, 4.5 inch group. The more I shoot it the more I love it but Marco makes some good points. Ammo is limited at best and cost prohibitive while both 338 Federal and 35 Whelen are available at a reasonable price.

If you do not reload and have no intention of doing so then you will want to avoid the 338-06.

Wyosmith

Are you speaking of building as rifle, or buying a rifle?
Also, what kind of rifle? Auto? Bolt? Pump? Single Shot?
Will you buy ammo or load your own?
All these things will effect your decision as to what you buy.

black mamba

With the bullet weights you are considering, there is so little difference in killing power between the 338-06 and the Whelen that it's a coin flip. With the .35 you get a slightly larger wound channel, with the .33 you get a slightly better ballistic coefficient (comparing the same weight bullets). If you are keeping range at under 200 yards, I'd swing the bigger stick. Go with the Whelen.

Scorch

So let's see. .338-'06 or .35-'06? Kind of a "six of one, half dozen of the other" options IMO. Let's see: both based on the 30-'06 case, both firing bullets of 250 gr to about the same velocity using similar charges of powder. Hmmmmm. Nope. Similar recoil, similar velocity, similar accuracy (assuming you use similar quality components in loading the ammo). This is the same discussion as "308 or 30-'06" or "Ford or Chevy" or "coffee vs tea", or whatever. Pick the one you like and use it.

FWIW, I like both rounds (to a certain extent), and either would work fine for just about anything you choose to shoot with them in this hemisphere. The argument of ammo availability seems to me to be the best selection criteria.

Jimro

I see the OP lists location as "Miami, FL" which makes me think that even a 30-30 would be fine.

Between the two I'd prefer the 35 Whelen. The Whelen is a bit more friendly to cast bullet loading and you can make fun little plinking loads using 158gr pistol bullets.

As far as performance on game, no difference. I just think the Whelen would be cheaper to reload for.

One of the best cartridges not mentioned is the 358 Win, but it's almost a handload only proposition at this point, but it's cheap to get milsurp brass, and cheap to load up cast bullets, and doesn't lose much performance at all to the 35 Whelen despite using a bit less powder.

Jimro

snowman748

gmarr for what it's worth I was also recently looking for a 150-200 yard max hog gun in a single shot rifle...

I was debating the 45-70 or the 35 Whelen...

I ended up with a 45-70 lever gun ;)

However the research I did on the Whelen showed it's a really nice caliber, is still available, reloading components are either cheap or reasonably priced and it shoots a big, nasty slug. my vote is the 35 Whelen

taylorce1

I have rifles chambered in both cartridges, and I can tell I'd use neither in the hunting situation the OP described. I could do all the hunting the OP detailed with much smaller cartridges that are easier to obtain even for the handloader and be very successful. Though if I had to choose I'd opt for the .338-06 and run 160-200 grain bullets from Barnes, Nosler, and Hornady.

Jack O'Conner

My hawg rifle is a Marlin in 35 Remington. Within approx. 150 yards its a deadly outfit for just about any animal in North America.

Jack

GeauxTide

Way back in 1988, I had my 700LH re-barreled to 338-06. Using Steve Timm's excellent article in Handloader, I had Shilen throat the barrel for 250 Nosler Partitions. Loading 200 Hornadys with his preferred IMR4320, I got 2810 avg for 10 shots in 22". The new 185 Hornady GMX has recently caught my eye, hitting 3000 in the Hornady manual. The choice of bullets in 338 leaves the 35 out in the cold, for me.

Wyosmith

I make quite a few of both for customers here in Wyoming. All of them have been handloaders so far. Bot calibers give a good account of themselves on elk and moose. My friend C.S. killed a big bull buffalo with his 338-06 using 250 grain Nosler Partitions.

Overall the 338-06 does a bit better because it shoots a bit flatter, but if the 338-06 were a "10" the 35 Whelen must be a solid "9".

In the real world there is not a lot of difference. Both are very good.

Boogershooter

I can't speak much on the 338-06. I've shot them at paper but never a live critter. I do own a 338 federal and a couple of 35 whelens. I don't shoot the heavy bullets but the 200 grainers out of the whelen is impressive on deer and hogs. 200 grainers out of the 338 federal usually pass thru the hogs and 180's tend to transfer much more energy and pass thru about 50% of the time.

bamaranger

heavy

I looked at the Whelen and the 338-06 as an East Coast/South heavy rifle. Rifle looney stuff......no real need, but the idea of something over .30 cal was appealing, and I could still hunt our deer, hogs and not be extravagently over gunned if I wanted too. Was gonna rebarrel a Savage.

Never did. But my limited searching seemed to indicate that the .338 had a wider range of slugs available from the normal sources as opposed to what was available in .35.

Geezerbiker

Would a .336 Fed chamber clean up when reamed to .338-06? That might be the way to go. I've been wanting a .338-06 for a few years now and I don't want to wait more than another couple years before I get one...

I'm really into reloading so I couldn't care less about factory rounds. I might even go for the Ackley improved version of this round...

Tony

Scorch

A chamber for a standard cartridge based on the 308 case will not clean up being reamed to the size of a cartridge based on the standard 30-06 case. The 308 case is larger anywhere forward of the case head.

Improved cartridges generally the same, but there may be a few that might clean up.

NWCP

Why turn away from the .308? For hogs or deer it works fine. It's less expensive than either the 338-06, or the 35 and bullet selection/ cost is really good. Every manufacturer chambers some really nice rifles in .308. Granted it's not an exotic, but it's been getting the job done for years now and getting it done well. JMHO

DAVID NANCARROW

Haven't met the deer or hog that could withstand a 165 grain partition from my 308, but if you are after a different caliber that's cool too:D
I think I would go with the 338-06 just because its a bit different. The only advantage over a 35 would be that the bullets are longer for their weight, and should give you a bit more penetration

dgludwig

Whitetail deer hit in the right place with a 200 grain Silvertip from a .358 Winchester don't travel very far. Of course, you could say that about any of the cartridges being discussed. I just like the rifle my .358 is chambered in: the Savage Model 99 "Brush Gun".