336 sight

txray22

I plan to install a new rear sight on my Marlin 336. The rear sight is missing as the former owner removed the scope and sold it to me like this. I would like to use a pip sight on the scope holes. I will get a dove tail install to fill in for the old rear sight. I want to use the original front sights. Right now I'm thinking hard about the Williams FP. Any recommendations?

Phil

603Country

I tried to hunt deer with my 336 and iron sights, but my Dad and my brother were using 4x scopes and doing much better in fading evening light. And I had 15 year old eyes back then. Finally I got a scope. Obviously, it's your rifle and your decision, but...think scope if you are going hunting.

FlyFish

I use the Williams FP rear sights on my Marlin 1894 and 39A that are set up for silhouette shooting. Mine have the target knobs for elevation because we're constantly re-setting for the different distances, and also for the gib lock screw (also for windage, but that one doesn't get moved as often). You'll probably be OK with the basic FP that has the regular screws. They're a solid well-made sight and a good choice for what you want to do, although I agree that the right scope would be better still.

idek

I have Skinner sights on a Marlin 1894c (also available for the 336). They have a few different types, but if you want to use the factory front sight, you might have the best luck with the "Lo-Pro" or "Winged" sights, as these sit lower on the receiver than other types do.

I can't say how they compare to Williams sights. I'm just putting them out there as an option.

Last edited:

Drm50

Peep sights

I've got 6 Marlin lever actions, all have reciever sights. My 1895. 45/70 has
Williams reciever sight, so does my 39. 22cal. The others have Lyman and
Marble peeps. Never had any trouble with them, hold zero well. On hunting
rifle such as 30/30 the 5D Williams is low profile and has no knobs to hang up
in brush. Also the least expensive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 25

GeauxTide

Another vote for Skinner. You won't be satisfied with the cheesy Marlin front sight, so put a Skinner blade there. Have Skinners on my 1894, 1895 and 39 Mountie. Awesome. As an example, I can keep off hand shots on an 8" pie pan at 100 yards with my 44mag 1894 and Rem 240 Green Box.

bbqncigars

I run a Skinner on my Marlin 1895CB, and Marble tang sights with Merit apertures on the rest of the Marlins. They all work well. The Skinner is a bit more robust, though.

AK103K

Ive used the Lyman and Williams types on my Winchesters, and always liked them, except for the snaggy, bulky, and somewhat fragile parts. They shoot well, but do require you to have a drilled and taped receiver (on the side).

Ive also used the AO/XS ghost rings on my Trappers, and really like them. Once zeroed, they work well, and they are very robust and minimal. They also work with the factory front sight, and use the existing scope mount on top of the guns (assuming "newer" rifles)

Tried the Skinners on my 1895G, and didnt like them.

These days, the XS sights would be my choice.

FrankenMauser

Depending upon the style chosen, a standard leaf can be pretty decent. I actually like the "cheap" modern version of the Williams sight that Marlin was shipping on 336Ws (the Walmart model) from about 1998 to about 2006 (and, again, on some rifles from about 2008-2011). It's easy to tell apart from the sights used on the rest of the 336s and older 336s, as it's solid aluminum with a set screw for elevation adjustment (no ramp).

As for peeps...
I ended up putting Skinner Wing Sights on my Marlin 444 (just a 336 with a bigger hole in the barrel). I like them, but I understand that the winged sights don't appeal to very many people.

One of my brothers put XS sights on his Marlin 444. He likes them quite a bit. I don't really care for the look of the XS sights, but they do work well.

txray22

Thanks all. I have some research to do, but I like the Williams sight and think I will go with it. I do want to check out the XS before I buy. Now, I just need to trade off my old bolt action 30.30 for something. Clearing out the safe.

thanks again
Phil