327 SP101 vs 357 GP100

headbangerJD

I am considering purchasing a Ruger SP101 chambered in the new 327 Magnum. I currently own a 6in Ruger GP100 chambered in 357. I love the balance and control of the GP100. I've never shot anything in 327 though, and I would like to know how the recoil compares to the GP100. I'm thinking that since it is a smaller cartridge in a smaller gun that both guns will have similar recoil. Am I correct?

The Great Mahoo

I'm not terribly familiar with the GP100, as I've never shot one. I do have the SP101 in .327, though, and it is among my favorite guns in my collection. It's become my primary carry gun. Very controllable, extremely reliable. I'd recommend one anytime.

ice monkey

Here we go .327 bashing again! :confused:

I would think the recoil would be the same as well. I have never shot a 6" .357 Gp - only a 4", and it was a blast.

Try Gunblast online - he's got a good write up as well as video of him shooting the sp in .327.

EarlFH

Has Ruger figured out the problems with the 327 SP101, seizing up in the chamber, so you can't eject the brass?

EarlFH

Mobuck

I can tell that my 3 1/16" 101 in 38 spec has much more violent recoil that my gp100 6" with hot 357 loads.

Sport45

I'll qualify this by saying I've never fired a .327 or a SP101. but aren't you comparing apples and grapefruit? I mean, the GP100 is a full-size service revolver and the 101 is more suited for concealed carry.

My thought is the GP100 will be more controllable even when using .357 in it just because you have more grip to hang on to. (Remember, I said I've never shot a SP101 ;))

Having shot the GP-100 .357 and the SP-101 in both .357 and .327 I can tell you that the recoil in the .327 SP-101 is easy to handle. The .327 has a strong muzzle blast which at first makes you think it has a lot of recoil, but if you concentrate on actual recoil you'll find it's pretty light.

I see .327 ammo at all of the big sporting goods stores without issue. The recall of the earliest SP's solved the extraction issues and the later shipments of SP's, GP's and Blackhawks have been fine.

I'll never understand why this round angers so many people.

Uncle Buck

I am going to tag this thread because I am considering the same purchase.

I am not too worried about the ammo availability, although it could become a valid concern in a few years, because I would reload.

goodshot

I have both. I have a 6" GP and a 3" SP. Since you're asking a perceptual question, I will give you my perceptions about the two. In a short answer, yes, the recoil would be about the same. I shoot 100 grain bullets out of the SP. I shoot 158 grain bullets from my full lug GP. The GP is a very large and heavy revolver for a .357. (I wish it was made in .44 mag) It absorbs much of the recoil. The .327 has a lot of bark but not much recoil. It shoots a 100 grain bullet at 1400 fps out of a 3" barrel. You better be wearing hearing protection !
I enjoy shooting both. Neither are close to being painful.

Sevens

My experience in similar. I've shot countless .357 Mag rounds (typically 158gr) from my S&W 686, 6-inch. Not a GP-100, but similar in size and weight.

I've also put a few hundred .327 Federal Mag through my buddy's SP-101.

The SP-101 is pleasant to shoot and in my experience and judgment, recoils less than my Model 60 S&W 3-inch (J-frame 5-shot) when loaded with 158gr .38 Spl +P rounds.

I'm not overly recoil sensitive, but there are some that aren't fun to shoot. .44 Mag from a 10-inch Contender sucks out loud. .357 Mag from a J-frame Smith isn't enjoyable, either.

.327 Federal Mag from a 3-inch SP-101 is not uncomfortable. I say it's enjoyable, feels like some power without all the hurt.

L_Killkenny

Like many others I've failed to shoot the 2 guns that you are comparing but have shot guns similar. I own a 4" Security Six and a .32M Single six and have sent a few hundred rounds down range from a .357 SP101. While my .32M isn't a .327 I do shoot some pretty stout reloads in it. As stout as a .327? No, but getting dang close. Weight of my Single Six seems very close to that of the SP101.

I think that wimpey, standard pressure 125gr .357 factory loads are very light and like a pop gun in my 4" Security Six (my hot 180gr reloads are a whole different ballgame). My hot .32M loads in the Single Six have even less recoil than wimpey .357. A real kitty cat and lots of fun to shoot. IMO, factory .327 loads in a SP101 should have less felt recoil than el' cheapo standard pressure 125gr loads in your GP100. In other words, I can't wait till the piggy bank is full so I can buy one of the .327's.

Also, the SP101 isn't a light gun. I don't notice .357 recoil from a SP101 being that much different with any load than the recoil in my Security Six.

And yes .327 threads really bring out the haters. None of which have a clue what they are talking about.

LK

FrankenMauser

try finding it in 10 years

The .327 Federal took off like no one expected, and only Ruger and ATK (Federal) had hoped.

Anyone still thinking ammunition scarcity will be an issue in 10 years has had their head in the sand for too long.

Unless you are directing the discussion specifically at your local area, the ammunition availability argument is no longer reasonable.

The .327 has sold well enough to provide a future for itself for at least another decade. With another couple years on the market, it might extend well beyond that.

Back to the real topic:
I haven't shot the SP101 in .327, but have shot the GP100 (4" I think...) in .357 Mag. I also own a .327 Blackhawk, that has seen .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and various factory loads and reloads in .327 Federal.

I can't imagine the .327 SP101's recoil being very bad. It's very difficult to make comparisons like this, though. ...Especially since every shooter interprets and feels recoil in different ways, and the pistols/chamberings are quite different.

With hot loads, the .327 is a very violent cartridge, but it's also very manageable. With light, or average loads, the .327 is very tame.

Sevens

While my .32M isn't a .327 I do shoot some pretty stout reloads in it. As stout as a .327? No, but getting dang close.
I don't doubt that your stout reloads are probably good and warm, but if they are even approaching .327 Fed Mag then you are breaking rules that most handloaders don't mess with.

The .327 Federal Mag runs at about twice the chamber pressure of the comparably anemic .32 H&R Mag.

If you have never shot .327 Fed Mag but you wonder what it might be like -- it's a little bit like .30 Carbine from a Ruger Blackhawk. (except that a .30 Carb Blackhawk is huge and heavy)