327 cartridges (327 H & R & 327 Federal) and hanguns - ?

bedbugbilly

I've looked at several handguns designed for the 327 H & R Magnum.

Can somebody confirm my thinking or straighten me out?

In googling the 327 H & R cartridge and the 327 Federal cartridge, both are longer than the S & W 32 Long . . . .

The 327 Federal is longer (case) than the 327 H & R . . . ? (or so I believe I'm reading)

The 327 Federal is higher pressure - more like a 357 while the 327 H & R is more like a 38 sp +P . . .

If this is correct . . . can the 327 H & R cartridge be fired in a revolver designed for the 327 Federal? (Much like a 38 spl in a 357)

Can a 32 S & W short and long be fired in both a 327 H & R and a 327 Federal revolver?

It is my understanding that 327 H & R cartridges are a little on the expensive side and sometimes hard to come by? (compared to say 38 spl/9 mm). If I were to get the dies, is it feasible to get in to reloading the 32 S & W Longs for general use in the 327 H & R revolver? (I'm talking for general target practice/plinking).

Heritage makes a 327 H & R revolver. . . . is this cartridge going to "stick around" or is it going to "give way" to the 327 Federal for which I know Ruger produces handguns for?

I'm aware that the 327 Federal is a higher pressure cartridge and am basically looking at the 327 H & R revolver in terms of being able to reload and shoot the 32 S & W Longs . . . unless that's not a reasonable expectation.

Thanks.

FrankenMauser

.327 Federal Magnum chambers will accept and safely fire .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W Long without issue. (The "magnum" designation is usually dropped, when referring to .327 Federal and .32 H&R.)

In some revolvers, you can also fire .32 S&W. However, it has a thinner rim, and some revolvers may not strike the primer with enough force to initiate it. The long jump the bullet must make from the case mouth to the throat of a .327 Federal cylinder means that performance with .32 S&W is rather dismal, though.

.32 S&W Long can be fired in .32 H&R chambers.
.32 S&W Long and .32 H&R can be fired in .327 Federal chambers.

.327 Federal absolutely should not be fired in anything else, even if you can get it to chamber.

Be careful with terminology, when looking for ammunition and revolvers in this group.
.32 H&R ammunition is sometimes called just ".32 Magnum".
.327 Federal ammunition is sometimes called just ".327 Magnum".
Do not confuse .32 S&W with .32 S&W Long.

Do not assume anything about the chambering, if you run across a Taurus revolver labeled ".32 Magnum". Taurus used that roll mark for .32 H&R, and brought it back for a few hundred revolvers in .327 Federal (before properly marking them). Either ignore any newer Taurus revolver marked ".32 Magnum", or get the exact chamber measurements, before proceeding.

Last edited:

SHR970

32 S&W (aka 32 S&W Short). The shortest and lowest pressure @ 9k CUP.

32 S&W Long. A bit longer and loaded to higher pressure @ 12k CUP

32 H&R Magnum. Longer still and loaded to 21k psi.

327 Federal Magnum. The longest and loaded to the highest pressure...45k psi.

A 327 Fed. Mag will shoot all of the above.

A 32 H&R will fire everything above it.

A 32 S&W long will also fire shorts.

To add to the confusion, the 32 Colt police positive is really 32 S&W Long.

32 Short Colt and Long Colt are not the same.

bedbugbilly

Thank you for the information . . . it's greatly appreciated!

I ran into the difference between the 32 S & W and the 32 Colt a few years back. I had a pistol that was chambered for the 32 Colt Short. I had a heck of a time finding any and every time I went to my LGS and they ordered it, it kept coming in as 32 S & W short. After about the third time, I finally took the pistol in and explained what the problem was. We slid one of the 32 S & W shorts into a chamber and the nose of the bullet extended beyond the face of the cylinder . . then they got the idea! :) I finally sold the pistol to a fellow who really liked it - I think it was a H & R Police Special top break. The last time I knew, he was still looking for ammo for it. :) I also appreciate the information in regards to pistol markings, etc. and the reference names in regards to the different 327 cartridges. All your info and help is appreciated!

gak

Excellent responses. Also, strongly suggested but not overtly mentioned is to avoid saying ".327 H&R" - it's .32 H&R or .32 H&R Mag or as some have said, (a few have called it .32 Magnum)...but never .327, that's the longer, higher pressure Federal cartridge.
.32 H&R has "stuck around" since its intro in the early 80s. Yes, it can be hard to find, especially at LGSs, but internet support remains--or I should say again--is fairly good. Georgia Arms has been one of the better, more consistent supporters. Some have felt recently that the H&R if anything may have a longer life. It's developed a real strong, iif niche, following--including myself since 1984 with Ruger's first H&R. I won't weigh in on that one; I believe the .327 is a stronger round market- wise than some doomsayers have suggested, so I'm hoping both will have a long(er) happy life with us.

Edit: as one indicator of the .32 H&R's long-lasting popularity and surprising to many--fans and naysayers alike, Buffalo Bore and Corbon recently introduced powerful new loads, this with .327 still churning away.

Last edited:

carguychris

FWIW there was actually a cartridge known as .32 H&R- no "Magnum"- kinda. ;)

In the late 19th century, Merwin Hulbert made twist-open revolvers for a cartridge that was very similar to .32 S&W, but had a slightly longer case so shooters had to purchase proprietary MH-branded ammunition in order for the gun's selective ejection feature to work properly. (This feature allowed the shooter to drop the empties while retaining the loaded rounds; it is difficult to describe or understand until you handle a Merwin Hulbert.)

H&R decided to market top break revolvers chambered for the .32MH cartridge since it was still commercially available at the time; however, they confusingly rollmarked their barrels ".32 H&R" to avoid putting their rival's name on their guns. :rolleyes:

AFAIK no cartridge maker actually offered ".32 H&R" cartridges commercially. Merwin Hulbert went out of business and MH-branded cartridges were discontinued ca. WWI. However, H&R decided to add the "Magnum" name to their hot-rod .32 S&W Long cartridge to prevent someone from inadvertently loading it into a relatively weak 19th-century ".32 H&R" top break and blowing his or her fingers off. :eek:

Historical footnote, yes, but an interesting one IMHO. :D