327... am I really missing anything???

so I do like the 32 calibers... I have many 32 S&W & 32 S&W Long guns, I have a pair of Single Sixes in 32 H&R & a lil J Frame in 32 H&R...

I hand load, & can load the H&R hotter than factory, if I wanted...

I have a 357 Maximum, & understand shooting the "l o n g" Cartridges, however for daily shooting ( & even for self defense ) I general don't shoot the higher pressure ( more noise & muzzle blast ) cartridges as much... for example, I'd prefer to carry a 38 Special, over a 357 where it's use might include shooting in my bedroom... I like the 44 Special better than the 44 Magnum... I shoot much, much more 45 Colt, than I do my 454 Casull

the only thing I think I could really "need" a 327 for would be a target sighted version on my Single Sixes ( mine are more CAS style with fixed sights ) but then I could always use my 22 Hornet revolver, to do anything the 327 could do on smaller game...

is there anything I'm missing??? other than just because they are out there???

Since you have all the smaller uses for the 327 covered with you single 6's.

If your looking for an excuse to buy a new one in 327.
Have to look at the top end.

I dont think any one will or has purchased a 327 because they had to.

A few guys I have talked to really like the new Single 7 with the seven inch barrel.
I have a Single 7 with the 5.5 inch barrel and will have it for life.
Best woods gun I have. ( not Grizzly country)

I am carrying it when out along with my Savage Sporter in 32-20

The only thing that would make it more perfect would be a Marlin 1894 in 327 magnum.
I would buy it before they could get it off the truck.

I also carry 327 Mag in my Snubby. I carry it because it is power I can control.
I can pull, Quick fire six rounds of 100 gr JHP at about 1300 fps, unaimed into a 3 inch circle on a chest size target at 6 feet.
No need for better.

Ultimately though. You buy what you like.

Last edited:

turkeestalker

I also carry 327 Mag in my Snubby. I carry it because it is power I can control.

I have to agree with that. I own two Ruger SP 101s, a 2.25" spurless hammered .357 and a 3.06" spurred .327. The .357 is my daily carry piece and I do understand the issues with choosing a magnum caliber for conceal carry should I ever need to use it.
I have to admit that when on the range shooting at paper I can shoot better groups with the .327. I'm not saying that my groupings with the .357 are so poor that I've any concern, just that I group tighter with the .327. Were it not for the fact that the extra barrel length causes it to print easier under my shirt when it hits my belt in the Kangaroo Carry holster I use, I would carry it. Adjusting the holster up higher to prevent that is simply not as comfortable for me or as easy to draw. Besides, I couldn't see me having any problems with one more round at my disposal. The spurred hammer is not an issue because out of curiosity I tried swapping the hammers from pistol to pistol and they are a drop in swap that functions reliably.
I don't believe that the longer sight radius has anything to do with it because I tend not to use the sights but shoot instinctively at typical SD distances. I think that the round is easier for me to control and shoot well yet provides a level of energy comparable to the .357... of course that could just be the jerk on the trigger!

FrankenMauser

I shoot primarily .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R in my GP100 and Blackhawk. ...But I still have the option for .327 Federal, if I want to go nuclear. ;)
(As well as .32 S&W and, in my case, .32 Auto. -But not all .327s can handle .32 S&W or .32 Auto, due to differences in design, and production tolerances.)

For SD/HD, and hunting use, the .327s get full power loads. Otherwise, it's something a little easier on the ears. But, I do the same thing with .44 Mag and would do it with .357 Mag if I owned one. (But I have .327s, so there's no need for a .357. :D)

Real Gun

I have both and prefer the 327 in a DA gun. Think 45k psi and what you could do with that. It should have at least a 4" barrel at those pressures, so the industry has yet to make the ideal gun in that caliber. GP100 4" was too much gun for the caliber. I am not sure about historical S&W in 327 but wouldn't pay the price for one anyway. If we see Lipsey's interest in a 4" Ruger SP101 327 Magnum ( a six shooter) come to fruition, I think we will have our gun, which will shoot all the various case lengths of the 32 rimmed cartridge. My SP101 in 327 is 3" and a fine gun, but could double as a target gun if a longer barrel (and better shooter behind it :eek:)

Last edited:
I can pull, Quick fire six rounds of 100 gr JHP at about 1300 fps, unaimed into a 3 inch circle on a chest size target at 6 feet.
No need for better.

I have also found that my 327 Snubby is also the most accurate one I have at extended ranges.

Example would be myself and family at movie theater. Crazzy smuck at the exit by the screen with a AR shooting up the place.
From the middle rows supported by the seat in front. I can head shot him.
I do practice that scenario and can do it.
Now being able to do it in real life while crapping my pants. Who knows...But it is possible.
Center mass would be more realistic. But aim small miss small.

Last edited:
Sorry... thought I mentioned it in my 1st post... I do have a 32-20... ( that particular gun is a converted & strengthened C&B revolver open top Colt clone )... I've also got a 32-40 :) & a couple 8 X 57's if we were to chase down the rifle calibers

BTW... I had a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine that I used as a donor for a custom bigger bore... but I'm curious how much difference there really is between the 327 & the 30 Carbine out of a revolver...

Last edited:

Model12Win

The .327 Fed Mag was everything it claimed to be.

As much "real world" stopping power (as one gun rag writer put it) as the .357 magnum, but with less noise and hardly any more recoil than .38 special. Also you can fit a whole 'nother round in a 5 shot .38 cylinder!!! These reasons are why the Fed Mag was such a raging success. :rolleyes:

OP, you aren't missing anything. The .327 Federal Magnum was a failure, and for good reason. It simply does nothing better than the .357 magnum.

OP, you aren't missing anything. The .327 Federal Magnum was a failure, and for good reason. It simply does nothing better than the .357 magnum.

Words from a guy who obviously has never been part of the 327's market niche.
But I get it. The gun manufactures and the gun rags.
Worked real hard to sell the 327 as some thing that it is not.
Maybe when they came up with it in their minds.
But it will be us 32 guys who will benefit in the long run.

I suppose if they were not thinking of it that way they may not have introduced the caliber.
It will take time, but we are starting to see with the Single 7's the real market long term for the 327 mag.

Now as a replacement for 357 magnum as a carry piece.
I dont think the case can be made at all of the ballistic superiority of the 327 Mag.
But as a guy who has a snubby in 357mag and a snubby in 327 mag.
I know what one I carry most.
The one that hits what I am aiming at with the 2nd round. Not just blinding every one in a 50 foot radius.
But I cant make the case the 327 is better. i just carry it more.

But I have also not limited my self to an ether or type question.
I have 7 32's and 7 38's so i must like them both.
As evidenced by the S&W Model 19 I am looking at next to my computer.

Last edited:

Sevens

but I'm curious how much difference there really is between the 327 & the 30 Carbine out of a revolver...
To ask & answer this question you must first prepare yourself for responses typical of the loudmouth peanut gallery (fine example immediately above) who will question the mere existence of the .30 Carbine in any revolver in the first place. Please understand that folks like yourself (Magnum Wheel Man) and myself and numerous others who buy and shoot guns simply for the hobby and fun of it don't make sense to the loudmouth, know it all peanut gallery that only sees things in black and white and believe that fun, experiments, creativity and ideas should simply cease to exist in their pale, stagnant and otherwise bland and soulless world.

FWIW, the Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine was brought to market BEFORE there was even a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .45 Colt and it was done so because of the glut of cheap surplus .30 Carbine ammo available at the time the revolver was introduced.

To compare the .30 Carbine and the .327 Federal from a revolver, you will find that indeed they are quite similar -- and different enough that it is worth exploring. I have both and and have shot both a good bit and these are the things that stand out.

.30 Carbine runs a 110-grain .308" slug and a tapered, rimless case at a 40k PSI max.
.327 Federal does an 85 to 115 grain .312" slug and a straight wall rimmed case of slightly shorter length and 45k PSI max pressure.

Both make use of a longer barrel to squeeze velocity from the small and light slug -- true in any revolver, more so in these. Testing on .327 Federal revolvers shows a radical drop in velocity at any barrel length under three inches. As for the .30 Carbine, only custom cutting on a Blackhawk will reveal anything here as all of them have been shipped out with 7.5" barrrels.

The .30 Carbine struggles in the revolver due to the design of the case. Extraction is always an issue with full power ammo in unmodified revolvers and it also offers far more hassle to handloaders as the brass grows in length and must be trimmed. Untrimmed brass locks the cylinder like a bank vault due to the breech face design of the Blackhawk and brass that is mistakenly trimmed too short become completely useless in the .30 Carbine Blackhawk as it sits too deeply in the chamber and won't accept the hit from the firing pin. .30 Carbine brass also requires (comparatively) extreme sizing effort at the load bench. .30 Carbine has far less component bullet selection also.

The .327 Federal was never designed or marketed to improve the hassles associated with .30 Carbine in a Ruger Blackhawk revolver, but it absolutely does do exactly that in every possible way and also adds two more shots, the .327 Federal Blackhawk is an 8-shot revolver. There is no hassle with extraction, there is never a need for any brass trimming, sizing is the same as any straight-wall rimmed revolver round and the bullet selection (while it sits far behind .38/.357 obviously) certainly outclasses the .30 Carbine.

If there are ANY failures of the .327 Federal compared to the .30 Carbine in a revolver, you could make the case for these:

--less brass available on the market and out in the world
--the brass does tend to split under normal use, the nickel pieces split more often
--factory ammo tends to cost a bit more, all else being equal

I own just one .327 Federal handgun these days, my 4.2", seven shot GP-100. I use it for the same thing as my 7.5" barreled Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine: I handload for it, I shoot it for fun. ;)

thanks for the reply... I assumed they would be close in bullet energy, out of similar barrel lengths...

I never had the brass grow as much as you indicated, but I loaded more tame loads in the carbine Blackhawk... mine spit quite a bit, from new, which I found out was due to the timing being pretty far off ( when the new cylinder was made, for the, & when I used that gun for a custom project ) my builder inserted some drill rod into the original cylinder, & showed me how far off the chambers were from the barrel, on a couple of the holes...

my concern with the 327, is that I never fell in love the 30 carbine Blackhawk... tried it both with, & without a scope... part of my distain was due to the spitting ( the gun gave me extremely nasty burns & abrasions 3 times, before I finally got it though my head to keep my left hand totally away from any where near the barrel cylinder gap ) the gun was purchased as a companion gun to my M-1 Carbine... which those duties were later taken over with my Automag 3... which left the Blackhawk sitting & thus it was used as the base for something new...

I assume the 327 has the same ( nearly abusive ) muzzle blast of the carbine Blackhawk, & perhaps even worse on the guns with shorter barrels??? I'm concerned about spending the money for a new gun, only to find out that I don't like it much more than the 30 carbine Blackawk :eek:

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Model12Win wrote:

It allows for traditional capacity in a more slender firearm, or an extra shot on a standard frame. The semi-auto guys might laugh that off but I've got to tell you. There's something sexy about a six-shot SP101.

wojtekimbier

Gun manufacturers aimed at the wrong market.
There is a demand for a light, 6-shot .327 hiking/plinking revolver with a long barrel. An evolution of what most .32's have always been.
It isn't supposed to replace .38+P in snubbies at all.