.325 WSM

Waterengineer

I have the chance to get a virtually new Model 70 chambered in .325 WSM for a very reasonable cost.

I have shot the cartridge and like it. Some will argue the .338 is the more standard cartridge but if you look at the numbers for the .325 and the .338 they are stunningly similar at 200 and 220 (225) grains.

The reason I ask is it doesn't seem to be particularly popular with the crowds that I run with in CO and WY. Also, I am a believer in owning and carrying the gun I can find cartridges for at say the Wal-mart, on Sunday afternoon, in places like Lander, WY, Lewiston, MT and Craig, CO. Thus, I usually carry the easy to find and like 30-06, 300 or 270.

Since I have not owned a .325, I have not shopped for ammo. My question is about viable cartridge lifetime. Opinions on the current availability of the cartridge and its availability of it going forward, please?

Thanks.

Doodlebugger45

I have a 325 WSM in a Browning BLR and I really like it a lot. I'm not sure why but the recoil is surprisingly tame for even heavy bullets at pretty good velocities. It doesn't pack quite the power of a 338 though. But I like the accuracy a lot.

However, if you plan on using factory ammo, you are in for a SHOCK. Even the cheap stuff is $50/box of 20. Premium stuff is about $65/box. And you sure won't find it in WalMart. I bought one box as soon as I bought the rifle just so I could shoot it immediately. My next stop was to buy the dies for it! Brass and bullets cost about the same as any other rifle, so now I can shoot it for the same price as my 7 MM Mag.

I haven't used it on game... yet, but I intend to this fall. I am a big believer in the WSM concept. I have a Model 70 in 270 WSM and it's a tack driver as well.

Waterengineer

Doodlebugger:

Thanks for the heads up on ammo cost. Yes, that is a bit of a shock. I have a 7mm RUM. The ammo for .325 is in the same neighborhood cost wise. Bummer.

Yes, I have gotten numerous reports on recoil and accuracy - all positive.

Dougw47

Waterengineer...

From what I have read...it does not seem that the .325 round will be very available a few years from now.

I stopped in my local gs and they have a lot of ammo...they had 2 boxes of 325 at $70 a box.

Unless you are going to get in to reloading the round...it does not look good.

taylorce1

May not be a Wal-Mart popular round but there are some gun stores in the areas that you describe that would have the cartridge. I know for a fact that in Craig you will be able to pick up a box of .325 Win if needed and since most seasons here begin on a Saturday you will know before Sunday if you forgot your ammunition. Truth be told you don't find a whole lot of .338 Win Mag in most Wal-Marts around Colorado Springs so I'd stick to .300 Win Mag and below if you want Wal-Mart availability.

I've shot my friends .325 WSM and all I can say is it is accurate and fits nicely into a short actions. Other than that it isn't anything that gets me excited. I've got plenty of other stuff to hunt with in the same class of cartridge for elk so I have no need to purchase a rifle chambered in this cartridge unless it is a smoking good deal.

Gunplummer

The .325 is going to die. I watched an interview when it first came out. One of the questions was " Isn't that an 8mm ?". The man being interviewed was somewhat embarresed by the question and said "We don't like to call it that". An 8mm just can't seem to make it in the United States. Most people, me included, have a thing for oddball stuff, but it is usually a small following per item.

Waterengineer

Thanks to everyone for the info

Taylor: My use of Craig, CO was an example, although I hunted that elk herd a for 20 years when I lived in Fort Collins. My point was ammo availability. Yes, the 300 WM or good ol' 30-06 are my elk guns.

Gunplummer: Have you a source for that interview or video? I'd sure like to see it.

Both of you confirmed my suspicions about the cartridge's future. While it may be a good cartridge, it never got market traction so I agree it will likely die. I have a 7mm RUM that I can't give away and I don't need another abandoned cartridge so I will be taking a pass.

taylorce1

I've been to Craig to hunt elk as well, and while I didn't go to a Wal-Mart there, but I did hit a little sporting goods store there. I was amazed by the amount of uncommon cartridges that they had there in that shop, as well as the amount of horse tack they had as well. Saw some .35 Whelen, .30-40 Krag, .300 & .375 H&H, as well as several different Weatherby cartridges on the shelf, so I'd imagine that they would be carrying the WSM and RUM ammunition by this time.

Fact is the .325 will have some sort of following for a long time. There are still guys out there using 8mm Rem Mags to hunt elk. As long as you reload and pick up a couple hundred pieces of brass that should keep you set for quite some time to come.

Gunplummer

Water Engineer

I am sorry, I do not really know. It was on the outdoor channel and I think it was one of the NRA shows. I usually do not pay attention because it is mostly competition shooting. I think it was an add in called "spotlight on new products" but do not remember for sure.

Taylorce1 is right about stocking up. I have a 7-30 waters spare barrel for my 99 Savage and Hornady quit making 140 grain flat points. I stocked up. I can use 120 grain sp and they fit but 140 grain sp won't fit. There is another round that fell to the side years ago.

Last edited: