325, cartrige

hunter33

Was offered a m70 325 as a part trade for something I had, I turned it down. I had never heard of that cartridge before so I tryed looking up the ballistics on remingtons sight, to see what it compares too. Turns out they dont make ammo for it. Just wondering what you guys could tell me about it.

GeauxTide

My .0323

325WSM is an 8mm cartridge that is in the 270,7mm,300WSM line. Winchester proprietary cartridge with expensive ammo, and brass. Marketed to give standard length magnum ballistics, i.e. 7mm Rem and 300 Win, in a shorter, lighter package. Any 150gr bullet at 3200fps in a 7# rifle is going to have very fast recoil velocity with sharp recoil. The 325 pushes a 200 at 2900, so it's going to stab you. Google the 8mm Remington and you'll see the common theme - lots of powder for a couple hundred fps and a ton more recoil.

PetahW

It was probably named the 325 WSM, or Winchester Short Magnum, to take the kiss of death off it, had it been named the 8mmWSM or 8mmMag like the Remington 8mm Rem Mag.

"325" seems so much more "American". ;) :)

Scorch

I think PetahW is right about the name. Call anything 8mm and people run the other way . . .

The 325 WSM is ballistically similar to the 8mm Rem Mag in a short-fat cartridge. All the reports I have read about the cartridge seem to indicate that Winchester got it right. They gave it a long barrel and designed a new bullet for it.