.32 S&W Kirst Konverter

NRAhab

So, after some work I've converted my Uberti .31 Pocket Dragoon to .32 S&W (using the Kirst Konverter). It says "only use cowboy ammo", however the only ammo that exists in that caliber appears to be loaded to the exact same pressures that it was loaded to back in the 1800s. My general question is then whether or not you guys think it will be safe to fire factory loaded .32 S&W through this thing.

FYI - Modern .32 ammo is usually an 85 grain bullet at about 650-680 fps.

ribbonstone

Converted one and used some factory loads in it...mostly used BP reloads, but the limited number of factory loads didn't seem to do it any harm.

One fun smokless load got used often. UNSIZED fired .32SW cases, .5gr. of Red Dot (but Bullseye, 700X, or any fast pistol powder will work fine), the same round ball used when it's percussion, ball dip-lubed in liquid alox, seat ball just past the mid line. Whimpy, but safe and fun.

Something to watch on the conversion cylinders. The bolt notches are shallow comparted to the BP cyclinder. MAy find that the bolt will need a stronger spring (or a better fitting bolt)...with the exisiting spring, would occasionally have the cylinder unlock and counter-rotate a bit.

NRAhab

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be heading to range this week for a limited break in session. I have come up with a name for the little pistol, though. Since "Baby Dragoon w/Kirst Konverter" takes 20 minutes to say, the new pistol has been christened .32 Kirst Dragoon.