32 S&W from 32 Auto

jdscholer

I'm wondering if any of you adventurers have ever created 32 S&W brass by trimming down 32 Auto? How does it work? Any case capacity difference?

The rim of the auto brass, while smaller diameter, seems large enough for extraction purposes. It is also thinner, which makes for more gaposis between the cylinder and the ---well you know.

Any experience or info would be appreciated. jd

Scorch

between the cylinder and the ---well you know
Oooooooh! Ooooooh! I know! Recoil shield. Yeah, that gaposis is called excessive headspace, and it's a bummer when you actually have to deal with it. The other issue with the rims being undersized, it can allow the 32ACP rim to get past the extractor and get the case really stuck. But 32 S&W should be available. If not, I think I have a box of 32 S&W sitting around somewhere.

BillCA

No, it won't work quite the way you want it to. The .32ACP doesn't have the right rim diameter - there's .012" difference there. That's just enough to allow the case to fall off the extractor and get wedged.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort. The .32 S&W is still available as a loaded round from Winchester, Magtech and probably a someone else. Magtech sells unprimed empty brass for the .32 S&W (Starline does not).

Case capacities differ. The .32 ACP is slightly longer (.61 v. .68) and .002" larger in diameter. That results in about a 12% larger case capacity.

jdscholer

Thank you, Scorch, for the proper terminology. That's much mobetta.;) And thanks everyone else for the input.

I've heard of using 32 auto in the longer 32's, and thought I'd try to get by with what I had if possible. I,m talking light gallery type loads in an old "lemon-squeezer".

I've got some 32 Long brass; guess I'll fire up the old Oakie lathe.:rolleyes: jd