.32 Magnum Revolvers...worth it??

Mikeyboy

I was looking into buying a .32 HR magnum Snubbie for my wife. She really dislikes the recoil of my .38 and I just don't trust her .22 revolver and I might trade it in. Is a .32 Mag a good compromise. I'm trying to do a "price check" on ammo because I here .32 H&R Mag is pricey and hard to come by.

gb_in_ga

Well, let's just say that if I had one (and I don't), I'd reload for it, because ammo for it is pricey. I like the idea of having the extra round in the cylinder, and I understand that the recoil is manageable. I also understand that it is supposed to be similar in performance to a standard non +p .38, meaning it should be acceptable for SD, albeit on the low end. Still better than the .22 (autoloader in my wife's case). FWIW, I've been considering getting one for my wife for the same reason. Either that, or I'll just upsize it a little and get her something like a Model 10, which should also help with the recoil as opposed to a .38 J frame.

longship

http://www.georgia-arms.com/pistol.htm 12.50/50 and it's a good warm load.
I reload for mine, it's very, very cost effective reloaded. The above isn't bad at all for warmish loaded .32 mag ammo. I personally love the caliber in a small framed revolver and personally think it makes a great small carry gun. I love my big calibers too, mind you, but it's pretty easy to hide a small .32 mag revolver and it packs a goodly smack for it's size in my opinion.

kymasabe

I shot one this weekend and it was great. MUCH more managable than a .38 and in a pinch you can shoot .32 S&W Longs in the thing. I KNOW there is a S&W 432PD for sale here and on The High Road...GREAT GUN, plus the seller has had a trigger job professionally done. Hurry, buy it now!
I like the .32H&R Mag, .38 balistics in a much easier to handle package. And Federal makes a nice self defense round for it much like the Hydro-Shok.

gak

Yes yes yes! Yes it is pricey ammo (the georgia arms stuff is nice, but so is the standard federal fare for the purpose of the gun) but it is a very sweet round, as are the formats it comes in. The Smith mentioned is a great carry gun (as are the various Tauri and Ruger SP101s), and I own a 4" Ruger Single Six "mini Vaquero" stainless birdshead that's a delight to shoot and handle. I owned one of the original Ruger SS's back in the mid 80s when they first came out - in a 5-1/2" adj sight job and it too was a sweetheart. Ruger's being very short sighted in discontinuing the SS gun just as cowboy types are starting to take to it (yes, esp the ladies and youth but also small paw'd big guys like myself who like the overall handiness) ...and a number of levers are coming out finally in .32 Mag - Marlin for two or three years now, plus Armi Sport (Win 92 replica) and Taurus.

Some say it's a niche round. I say, if so - so what...suck it up on the price of the ammo (or reload) and have one of the sweetest shooting guns around. I don't shoot "hundreds" of rounds in any caliber except .22 - I shoot just enough to be proficient, so the cost is not that much of an issue. Also, yes, much more manageable than the .38 loads it's even compared up against (non +P) and less obnoxious on the ears - even in short barreled configuration. Even a standard .38 2-4" gets a bit much after a lot of shooting. The .32 doesn't, but certainly enough pop to know it ain't no .22 or .22 Mag-not even close. The one thing the industry such as CCI, etc., is very stubborn in not doing - is no snake shot (shotshell) and none on the horizon - not enough demand they supposedly say. Let's fix that and give the little cartridge the attention it deserves! Get it and enjoy!

Bob79

I've got a 432PD with the service action job by Clark Custom Guns listed for sale here.

Dropped the price to $370 shipped.

Pics there also.

Glenn E. Meyer

I've just gotten one for a present - paid $339 + tax at a TX gun show. There were several tables that had them along with a 431. They may or may not be made anymore but I've seen them out for quite awhile.

I've bought a couple of speed loaders and will probably use it as a bug. I got it as the niche idea appeals to me. I doubt it will be used as a primary gun though.

gak

I have my .38 4" DA Taurus - loaded with 125s or 158s depending on the situation - as bedside and snake country as I still beleive that format to be the best/most versatile for those duties, However I would not and do not feel particularly undergunned with the 4" mini vaquero .32 as fun/ trail/ camp/ small game/plinker and back up SD in the home - and this spring will opt for one of the small Smith .32s (haven't decided on hammerless or not) for CC--best format I've seen for such duty and a full 6 shot at that. Have handled the Smiths and have heard from a lot of owners - they seem a sweet little piece.

walt65

mikeboy check out the .32 mag in the for sale thread

If you don't email bob79 and buy his gun, you're making a mistake! It has its trigger polished (with papers to prove it), and ammo too. You won't get this good of a deal at your local gun shop. It's vertually new!

kymasabe

BUY BOB79's 432PD...NOW...DO IT! It's a steal at that price and it's a great gun. And...newsflash...S&W has stopped making that gun. Grab it while you can because the Taurus .32H&R Mag doesn't even come close to the quality of the S&W. Trust me, I've shot both. I was going to buy the 432PD, spent weeks looking for one and even emailed Bob a few times but stupid me, bought a Kel-Tec just hours before Bob got back to me and blew my 432PD money on a plastic piece of crap. Buy it NOW.

Mikeyboy

To Bob79 and others...I need some time to get the money together, but honestly, and no offense to anyone, I'm making the rounds at the local stores first, I just like handling what I'm going to buy first. I never bought a handgun online before, but if it cannot be found here I will give Bob a ring, and if I'm too late it was not ment to be. I'm getting real nervous about the ammo, it is real hard to find the .32H&R Mag (not a lot of cowboy action shooting in the Philly suburbs). I looked around for ammo and only one store I went to had only one box, but I'm going to the range tomorrow and if they carry it then I'm cool, if not I might have to bail on the idea of owning a .32 Mag.

One funny story came out of this. I was in Walmart with my wife and as a goof I figured I would check the gun counter there to see if they had .32 H&R Mags (long shot, but ohh if they carried it I would have no worries about finding ammo). Usually there is someone who is a little knowledgeable behind the counter, but today they had this young kid, who was acting like a wannabe gangster. I asked, "hey I'm just curious, do you have any .32 H&R magnum rounds, it is a very odd pistol and rifle round". Sure the kid says and pulls out a box of Remington UMC in .32 APC. I said no that is not what I'm looking for I need .32 H&R Magnums for a revolver, these are for a Semi Auto. Then he said....We don't carry H&R Magnum..but these will work in a revolver...look...and he pointed to the Top of the box with the Remington logo and read "Remington UMC pistol and REVOLVER ammunition" With that I slowly backed away.

bpisler

www.gunblast.com there's a write up on the
431/432 in 32 mag.I had a 432 on layaway but
after reading about the ballistic's from a 2"
barrel i switched it for a 642.32 mag with a
85gr JHP at 1,000fps i really a 380acp power
wise.I'am not dumping on anyone's choice of
calbers but the 38spl makes more sense for
me in this case.

joneb

Bersa .380 thunder may be worth a look, but I'm a big snubby fan. The 32 h&r mag would be a sound choice. If you go with a light weight job recoil could be a issue, but in a self defence situation it won't matter. She would need to train though. That's what I like about the .38 spl. the a wide range of ammo availible, from hot to cool.

Last edited:

joneb

more to chew on

it's tuff to find ballistics for 2" snubs, but I did find some CCI info on the .22 mag from a 6" barrel. 30gr maxi mag 1610 fps, 40gr maxi 1428 fps. my guess from a 2" barrel, the best energy to hope for might be 130 ft/lbs. well two of these would = a .38 spl. A 7 or 8 shot .22 mag. may be a worthy weapon given it's quick follow up shot capabilities and more food for thought.
keep in mind the revolver is a good platform for the rimfire if there's a dud just keep squeezen.

Last edited:

kymasabe

I've shot the .38 special J-frame and the .32 H&R Mag j-frames and the .32 is a much more pleasant gun to shoot, not nearly as much recoil as a .38. Personally, I'd rather have the one extra round and a smaller caliber and go for the .32 H&R.

joneb

well recent edits on jibjab's posts were done by the grammer police :rolleyes: my wife has taken interst in this thread :)

Last edited:

bpisler

ballistics table,22 mag

jibjab,here you go

www.naaminis.com/naaveloc.html

Tis is where you'll find ballistics for the 22lr
and 22mag from short barreled revolvers.

If the link dos not work then go to their
website www.naaminis.com

Click on site map at the bottom of the
start page.On the next page near the
the bottom will be a tech support link
That will take you to the ballistics table.

joneb

thanks bpisler, from a 1 5/8" barrel the best energy one could hope for is 98 ft/lbs with a .22 mag. the .32 h&r mag. energy from a 4 1/2" barrel is around 225 ft/lbs it would be nice to know velocity from a 2"