.32 Mag.?

Ed Dixon

Okay, folks, besides the curiosity aspect of owning a new caliber is there any reason to go with the 32 instead of the .45LC(which matches my other pistol and rifle)? Kinda itchin' for the former, but don't want to make a $400 mistake. Random opinions welcome. (No, I haven't yet attended my first CAS event.)

fal308

Staff Alumnus
The .32 is less expensive to reload and there's not that much recoil.

If you're looking for another CAS gun, get the .45. Logistically speaking, it gets to be a pain having to carry ammo for different guns, not that there would be any mixup between .32 and .45. Plus the .32 won't ring steel with the same authority and may not even knock over some plates, depending upon how they're set to fall.

If on the other hand you're just looking for a plinker, try it out beforehand if possible, and get whichever one feels better and puts a bigger smile on your face.:cool:

Byron Adams

I have the Ruger 32 Mag with birdshead grip. I find it to be accurate with either the Hornady 90 grain SWC or the 85 grain XTP. It is a good plinker. I do not shoot in the CAS but would think it has its place.

griz

There is the advantage of ammo interchangeability if both guns use the same ammo. One stage I shot had the shooter REload both pistols, on the clock, with all five rounds. Since the rounds to be reloaded were in a bucket, it would have been tougher to use two different calibers.

But SASS isn’t just about using the most efficient equipment. I guess if it were we would all be shooting Mini 14s, 1100s and 1911s. The 32 is a fun little round and you will enjoy it. Even in my worst case scenario mentioned above, there is no chance of you getting the two rounds mixed up.
:)

Maxim

I recommend the .32-20 (.32WCF) rather than the .32H&R Magnum chambering.

1) The .32-20 is originally a blackpowder cartridge

2) The .32-20 chambering is available in Winchester lever-action rifles and carbines.

3) The .32-20 case has greater volume capacity than the .32H&R magnum case.