.32 auto hp or fmj?

mtn. man

My wife refuses to fire anything any larger than the .32's and i usually load it with fmj for her use.
I guess i dont think the .32 would expand a hp wery well because it doesent have much penitration even with fmj.
Any thoughts on this??

I carry Cor-Bon's in my P-32, but also have concerns with penetration from the 60-gr JHP's. Yet the usual RN FMJ's don't have a heckuva lot of wounding capability. One possibility is to use FM 71-gr FMJs that have been imported by several companies, and are available at many gun shows. They have a flat point that acts something like a wadcutter, doing a lot more damage than the round-nosed configuration. You might try some of them as a good compromise between penetration and wounding power.

MostToysWins

Hi,

I carry RBCD Performance Plus Platinum 37gr. total fragmenting soft points in my .32 which I use for CWC.

Saw a video of what these rounds could do to someone, and I was sold.

They will wound someone enough to stop them IMHO.

michael t

have much penitration even with fmj.
FMJ will have more penitration than you think. At close range a 32 auto is moving pretty good clip.

mtn. man

Thanks guys for the responses i will try some experimenting. I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot at home and have tried the .32 on different materials but only with fmj.
It only took me two years to convince her to practice with the .32 instead of a .22 who knows maybe in two more she can step up again.
I have heard that the Sellier & Bellot marked 7.65 Browning is hotter than most of the U.S. brands does anyone know if this is true.

I have heard that the Sellier & Bellot marked 7.65 Browning is hotter than most of the U.S. brands does anyone know if this is true.
Most European ammo is loaded hotter than the US stuff. Haven't fired S&B, but Fiocchi is noticably hotter than anything in the US except Cor-Bon.

bedula32

S&B feels a little hotter to me than say Dynamit Nobel. DN feels a little hotter still than say Remington or Winchester, all in 71gr. This is all subjective of course but thems be my impressions. I'd stick with FMJ for 32 for the same above-mentioned reason of penetration. FMJ might also be more reliable in some guns due to the rimlock possibility. The plus side of FMJ is it is cheaper too though that is not the main reason to use FMJ of course.

BobK

Winchester Silvertips. But Corbon is working on a DPX load for the 32. I got a Kel Tec P32 that my wife likes. But only with the extended 10 round magazine so she can hold on to it.

Webleymkv

I carry both. My Walther has a Winchester Silvertip in the chamber and four more in the mag. Every other round in the mag is S&B FMJ. I am considering switching to some Winchester FMJ that I have because it uses their "improved accuracy bullet" that is a flat nose.

mtn. man

Thanks guys i shoot the S&B in some of my old military guns and like it.
I dont have a chrono but i can try the old phone book test i've never done that with a .32.
It would be interesting to see if the S&B would do any better than the other fmj ammo.
I'll also try this with some of the other ammo mentioned here.

pinetree

FMJ. There was a site that did a good bit of tesitng with 32acp from a Keltec. What I gleaned from it was that the expansion, if any, is very limited and if there is any expansion it reduces and penetration which is also lacking.

In other words nothing to be gained by going to hollowpoints for PD. With Keltecs, the rumor is that by using hollow points, which are usually shorter, one increases the likelyhood of rim-lock. I've shot a box of xtp's though my Keltec, no problem, but why chance it.

I buy S&B's or Fiochies and call it a day.

tjg