.32 acp polymer framed pistols

JMag1

The Beretta Pico was SUPPOSED to have a .32 option, but it apparently never happened...here, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Forte S+W

Sadly, .32 ACP just isn't a popular cartridge anymore, and doubtfully ever will be again, so nobody makes any new .32 ACP pistols anymore.

Beretta still makes some aluminum framed .32 ACP pistols which are plenty small/light enough for carry, so if you want to carry a .32 ACP pistol, then they're just about the best thing in current production.

That being said, I think it's a shame that .32 ACP has declined so much in popularity, especially considering that a hot European 70gr load can do pretty much everything a 90gr .380 ACP can do with considerably less recoil in a smaller package, but unfortunately folks base their expectations of how a bullet will effect a living person on how it behaves against inanimate objects, and .32 ACP just doesn't poke big enough holes deeply enough into pine boards, water jugs, or giggle blocks of gelatin quite enough, so folks would rather carry snappy little .380 ACP or even 9mm Luger pocket pistols and pretend that they're getting anywhere near the level of performance either cartridge is capable of out of a compact or full-size pistol.
Maybe someday .32 ACP will make a comeback, but only once ballistics performance stops being measured using antiquated pseudoscientific methods and raw statistical figures which simply cannot account for all the the people who have died after being shot by "anemic" and "ineffective" cartridges like .32 ACP, .25 ACP, and .22LR, especially in the mid-1900s, when flimsy assertions in regards to cleanliness and contemporary medical knowledge being the actual cause of such fatalities no longer hold any water.

Last edited:

5whiskey

^^^ Forte you and I share the same feelings/opinion. Should .32 be even partly in favor, and firearm technology for the round be on par with 9mm/.380, we could have true 7+1 (maybe even 8+1) pocket pistols out there slightly smaller than the original LCP. Not a pocket pistol for oversized pants with oversized pockets either. A true fit in most anything but skinny jeans pocket pistol. What gun guy who CCWs wears skinny jeans anyway? Wait, I know someone is out there. Oh well stick to owb holsters and long shirttails.

It’s this same logic I wish someone would make a .32 H&R mag 5-shot snub nose revolver. That could be made much smaller than a .38 LCR, and could be a legit pocket revolver. Pocket revolver as in will fit in pockets of normal fitting pants, and won’t look quite like you have an orange in your pocket.

Alas, 9mm carries the day. It is a better defensive round. As you said though, .32acp loaded to European specs will do what needs be done. And it won’t be too far behind .380 in a barrel shorter than 3” either.

Bill DeShivs

Why would you want something other than the Keltec? It's the thinnest, lightest .32 acp on the market. It weighs a lot less than the Beretta .32 and is much thinner.

BTW- the Keltec P3AT IS slightly smaller than the LCP.

tarhealcracker

The sorriest thing I ever did (well almost) was selling my pre war Walther in 32 acp because I bought into the "bigger is better" BS.

dogtown tom

Bill DeShivs Why would you want something other than the Keltec?
Because.....reputation?
Because....fluff and buff?
Because.....380?
Because.....any number of reasons.

Fact is, KelTec isn't interested in refining or fixing the problems of its .32/.380 designs. Ruger and others have seen fit to make better versions.

BTW- the Keltec P3AT IS slightly smaller than the LCP.
True, but until KelTec improves the horrible checkering the LCP will continue to eclipse it in sales.

Forte S+W

Ohhh, boyyy... Now you've done it...

There are a few regular users here who prefer Kel-Tec over Ruger and take great exception towards any comments which suggest that Ruger improved on their design, and assert that all Ruger did was add unnecessary weight and additional cost to the design.

Expect a visit from each of them sometime before midnight on All Hallows' Eve.

Bill DeShivs

One minute with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper takes care of the sharp checkering on the Keltecs.

Keltecs haven't needed "fluff & buff" for 15+ years.

All of mine work just fine.

dogtown tom

Forte S+W Ohhh, boyyy... Now you've done it...

There are a few regular users here who prefer Kel-Tec over Ruger and take great exception towards any comments which suggest that Ruger improved on their design, and assert that all Ruger did was add unnecessary weight and additional cost to the design.
I know.
But the firearms market has a overwhelming preference towards Ruger. KelTec let its .32/.380's slide into irrelevancy.......and that not my fault.

Expect a visit from each of them sometime before midnight on All Hallows' Eve.
Both of them? :D

dogtown tom

Bill DeShivs

Keltecs haven't needed "fluff & buff" for 15+ years.
Not true. I didn't start being an FFL until 2008 and it was common knowledge among those picking up a P3at that fluff and buff was still a thing. A quick Google search shows plenty of hits that are newer than ten years old.

Maybe the lack of fluff and buff currently has to do with the plummeting sales of KelTec .32/.380's since Ruger came out with the LCP.

Mike38

I'm one of those that like the Kel-Tec P32. Are there some sharp edges on the frame? Yes, but as mentioned earlier, a couple minutes with a piece of fine sandpaper cures that. I smoothed the back strap and the trigger and called it good. I didn't touch the checkering on the grip, I like a grip that grips me, especially on such a small framed pistol. My very first range trip with mine put 7 rounds into a one inch group at 5 yards. 5 yards is short, but as far as I'm concerned it's a good distance for self defense. As for reliability, it shines there too. Well over 400 rounds in the past two years, 100 rounds of factory ammo and 300+ rounds of reloads, zero malfunctions. The P32 is not a range gun meant to shoot 100 rounds a week. Mine gets shot once a month or so (empty both mags) just to make sure it still works, and reload with fresh ammo. Glad I bought mine.