.32-40 Win.

Double J

Why isn't the .32-40 loaded as hot as the .30-30. Given the same model, action type, etc., it should handle the pressures. At present, the .32-40 runs along like its old BP ancestors. Can it be safely loaded hotter?

Charshooter

Well the 32-40 was a black powder load while the 30-30 began life as a smokless powder load and was loaded at higher preasure. If you had a replica 32-40 built to the same standard as a 30-30 you could load ot hotter and I think there are some loading guides that might give you loads. Pet loads had a section on some of these old cartriges and there are other places to find information, Cartriges of the World by Frank Barns might list loads for it.

If you know the math, you can work up a load, using powder charge, bullet weight and velocity. Just be sure you don't overdo it and load it beyond 30-30 specs.

Trapper L

As you already know the 32-40 was a black powder round. In its factory loading, it used a 165 gr bullet loaded with 40 gr black powder. Even with todays smokeless powders, it will not get to the power of the 30-30 and any attempt would likely end in injury and destruction of a piece of history. I show the hottest loading for a 170 gr jacketed bullet is XMR-2495, 31.5 grs yields 2074'ps. This is out of the Lee manual. The 30-30 will run about 200'ps faster with the same weight bullet. And as you already know, approach any max loading with caution.
FWIW, I have a variant of the 32-40 known as the 8x48R in a Schuetzen rifle with double set triggers and a 36" full bull octagon barrel. It's a handfull to hold with the adjustable peep rear sight and globe front with level. These old shooters, including the 32-40, were noted for accuracy in years gone by. I hope yours is as much fun to shoot as mine.