.32/20 revolver

foxfire

This is a follow-up query to the one I originally posted on 1/09.
The .32/20 revolver(50% blue, 4" barrel) in question has "La Industrial Orbea" Elbar on the left side of the barrel. The only other markings is the s/n 171348.
Again, any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time.

------------------
...save the 2nd., for it saves us all.
No fate but what we make...

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Couldn't find anything specifically for Orbea Industries but there was a Orbea Hermanos of Eibar making copies of Smith & Wesson revolvers. This company had military contracts with the French govt during the First World War though the weapons were in French military calibers.
Don't know if yours is a spinoff or a later incarnation of this. There is no listing of 32/20 in Orbea Hermanos though, only the standard calibers of the time (.32 S&W, .38 Long Colt, .22LR).

foxfire

fal308,
Thanks for the info. Should you happen across anything else about the .32/20, we'd be happy to learn more about the caliber and revolver, in general. Thanks again for your time.

------------------
...save the 2nd., for it saves us all.
No fate but what we make...

fal308

Staff Alumnus
The .32/20 was originally a black powder cartridge. It came out in the 1873 Winchester and the Colt Model P (Peacemaker) among others. As I recall it was the third or fourth most popular caliber in the Model P first generation.
This round is having a revival due to Cowboy Action Shooting matches. Thus original lever actions and single action revolvers are starting to command a higher price than anytime in the last 100 years.
BTW I've got my father's '73 Winchester in .32/20 that he picked up in the 1950s in a trade for a Mauser. One of these days I'll get some of those CAS loads and try it maybe.