30mm to 1 inch scope ring inserts

bamaranger

Who has used the delrin/plastic ring inserts to place a 1" scope in a 30mm ring set?

I am wanting to put a 1" Leupold in a set of 30mm Burris XTR rings. The delrin inserts seem an affordable and simple way to to that.

All about saving some money and putting the rifle to work simply.

10-96

I ordered a set for a guy who wanted to put a 50-some-odd-mm 1" scope on a Savage Axis. The extra high rings wouldn't work with the Burris 2-piece mounts, couldn't find any ludicrisly high rings, but ended up trying a set of 30mm extra high rings, and the ring reducers and the scope now sits comfortably 1/16" or so above the bbl.

They have kind of a neat look to them when assembled on Leupold (or Burris?) rings. It sort of sets the appearance apart and makes it look like you went with some sort of specialty gear.

The fit and clamp down just fine. No problems.

bamaranger

XTR's?

Thanks for replies.

So 10-96, was your experience with Burris XTR rings, the HD tactical rings that Burris sells?

tobnpr

I don't know about Delrin inserts, but I bought a set of inserts from Barrett Firearms (precision steel) for a Warne Ramp Mount on an AR and never had an issue.

They weren't cheap- but then again, nothing made by Ronnie Barrett, is...:D

bamaranger

copy

Yeah, I've seen steel (Badger Ord) and aluminum, and the Delrin.

For the price of the steel ones, I'm halfway to a set of rings.!!!!!!!!!

Barrettt is just up the road from us a few hrs....always wanted a tour.

bamaranger

problem

Arrghhh!

Looks like the Delrin inserts are all 5/8" across, and set up for 4 screw type rings. The XTR rings are 1" across. So 3/8" of the scope tube would be unsupported in the ring. That sounds like problems.

BadgeR Ord makes a steel insert for 6 screw rings. But the price approaches a set of new 1" rings. (within about $20.00) . Nothins' ever easy.

Whatdya think? Could one snug up 4 of 6 screws on the XTRs properly, and then simply ease the last pair of screws down to minimal contact and Loctite'em so they won't get away.

Sounds kinda mickey mouse to me........

Palmetto-Pride

Just buy a set of 1" rings and do it the right way. Is saving $30.00 bucks worth the hassle a "jerry rigging" it not to mention wasted ammo cost when you decide to to it the right way.

10-96

Bama- Look carefully at the inserts if you go that way. The one's I ordered were for 5/8" but they had a lip on each side of them you would have to mill off prior to seating within the 1" rings... and you'd still have the gaposis going on between the edge of the rings and the faces of the inserts.

bamaranger

understood

Yeah, this is looking less worth it more and more.

Just caught an OT detail at work that should be "e-z money", and I'll use that to do it right. Heck, I may by a 30mm scope!!!!!

Thanks all.

10-96

I'm up to 3 of them now- the Mueller 4-14 and two 8.5x32. Man, they really do a lot for letting in the light come shooting in low light/dusk times.