.308 Winchester Failsafe Ammo

1tfl

Anybody here have any experience with this ammo?
It gives terrible accuracy (3-5" groups) in my rifles. It just seemed like really inaccurate ammo. Anybody else here have similar experience with this ammo?
I still have 3 boxes left and I'm wondering if there is any reason to keep them other than for the brass.

Last edited:

Sodbuster

I had very good results with these bullets, but I shoot a .270. Your rifles may just not like FailSafes. It happens. These are flat bottom bullets, not boat tails, but I considered them to be quite accurate out to 300 yards. Again, I shoot a .270... and was actually a bit miffed when Winchester discontinued these bullets. No experience with the .308 FailSafes.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I loaded some for my '06. 3" to 4" groups, compared to my usual sub-MOA. I discovered later that the jacket material is rather hard, compared to, say, Sierras, so I might have run higher pressures than would have been proper.

A local gun shop owner said that he'd had several bad reports from other users. Mostly about poor expansion on Bambi.

Mobuck

That was the ammo of choice for my older Son's first elk hunt. 30/06 165 grains shot very good out of his S&W(HOWA) and drove a fatal bullet completely through a nice 5x5 bull @200 yards. They do have a fairly stiff jacket compared to the common cup and core bullets.

reynolds357

The stuff is awesome. Some of the best premium factory ammo ever sold. Maybe your rifle just does not like it, but it is truly top shelf ammo.