308 vs 300 win mag accuracy

458winshooter

I know the 308 is known for its accuracy and has won many rifle matches but since I recently came across a honey of a deal on a 300 win mag I have been reading a ton of testimonials on its use as a match rifle.I realize that it's flatter shooting than a 308 but so is a 30-06.My question is does the 300 have as good or better inherent accuracy?

Old Bill Dibble

It will be less subject to drift at longer ranges and therefore more accurate at longer ranges. Inside 250M I don't think it will matter a bit. 500M+, on a windy day...

jmr40

The accuracy potential is virtually the same. There is a lot of evidence showing shorter cases provide more consistent powder burn and ever so slightly better accuracy potential. But the difference is so small no hunting rifle will ever show an advantage. The individual rifle and load will determine which is more accurate most of the time.

But a lot of shooters find 300 WM to have just a bit more recoil and blast than they are comfortable with and will shoot a 308 better.

What are you going to use it for? The extra bullet speed means better performance on game at extreme ranges and a little flatter shooting. But within 400 yards the 300 offers no real advantage.

As a target round flat trajectory means nothing when shooting at known ranges and you don't need bullet energy to poke a hole in a paper target. You can always adjust the sights. A 308 will be just as accurate out to 700-800 yards, maybe a little farther. The extra speed of the 300 keeps bullets stable past 1000.

reynolds357

Same until distance takes over, assuming the shooter can handle the win mag.
Past 1kyds. the Win mag has a decided advantage.

Worc

I'd say they are pretty close with maybe a slight edge to the .308 win. I have both a .308 win and .300 Wby mag (not Win mag) and both guns are sub MOA shooters.

Their loads, barrels, and actions are not the same though and that in it's self makes a big difference, or in my case not much.

Road_Clam

I have both in a precision rifle and both are equal up to 600 yds, the 300WM allows the efficient usage of heavier 180+ gr bullets after 600 yds and will have a flatter, faster trajectory which resists bullet wind drift better.

kraigwy

I've shot both at 1000 yard matches. The 300 WM is accurate, but it will get to you do to recoil.

We shot basically 4 20 round matches plus unlimited sigters (except for team mathes). Any Rifle/Any Sight, 300WM Model 70 with a T-10 Weaver. Any rifle-iron sights, Same rifle with Redfield Pulma Sights, Service Rifle, M1A, and Team Match (normal with the Model 70 with the T-10.

Over the years, do to fatigue from the 300 WM, I found, over all, my 1000 yard score were better with the M1A.

My go to long range rifle now is an AMU Built Model 70, in 308, which I can use glass or irons.

If I shoot a service rifle, I my White Oak AR, in 223. w/80 SMKs.

The difference between the 300 WM and 308 is in bucking the wind. Fatigue gets me more then the wind. I have little knobs on my rifle to adjust for wind, I cant adjust for fatigue.

You want the best of both worlds, wind bucking and light recoil, go to the 6.5 CM.

stagpanther

I shoot both 308 and 300 win mag--though I never get to shoot either very far--so my opinion may not amount to a thimble full of beans--but what I've found is the 308 is slightly more accurate AFTER I've developed the best load for it. The 300 win mag--by virtue of it's extreme power (my cases and barrel seem pretty clean afterwards--so I think it burns the capacity pretty well) will drill in just about ANY cartridge I use very accurately. My 300 wm doesn't wear me out physically--but it sure as heck goes BANG! and maybe that wears my already bad hearing out.

T. O'Heir

Knew a guy who regularly won DCRA(our version of the NRA but without the political clout) 1,000 yard sniper matches(24" bull and called F-Class Open now) with a custom built .300 Win Mag using 190 grain match bullets. Catch is the rifle weighed 17.5 pounds. Max allowed is 10 kilos(22 lbs.).
In Target Rifle(TR. .223 or .308 only) and F-Class Factory and TR max weight allowed is 8.25 kilos(18.15 pounds.). No brakes allowed. No bipods in TR.
So it's more about the rifle than the cartridge. Mind you, some courses of fire don't allow magnums of any kind. However, you really wouldn't want to shoot a .300 Mag, all day, out of a light weight rifle, anyway.

RC20

Best is still the 30-06.

It can shoot bullets up to 220 grains (208 and 225 BT Match) , its recoil is lower than the 300 WM (higher than a 308) you can shoot it all day long (with a recoil pad) and it does not blow out your ears.

It reaches 300 WM speeds with modern powders (R17 even more so)

I can't figure out why you would get a more expensive gun, more expensive ammo and brass, uses a lot more powder for a bigger boom!

stagpanther

Best is still the 30-06.

It can shoot bullets up to 220 grains (208 and 225 BT Match) , its recoil is lower than the 300 WM (higher than a 308) you can shoot it all day long (with a recoil pad) and it does not blow out your ears.

It reaches 300 WM speeds with modern powders (R17 even more so)

I can't figure out why you would get a more expensive gun, more expensive ammo and brass, uses a lot more powder for a bigger boom!
30 -06 makes a lot of sense--except if you already have a 300wm. ; )

kraigwy

30 -06 makes a lot of sense--except if you already have a 300wm.

I think the '06 makes a lot of sense, not because I don't have a 300 WM, I do, two in fact. The '06 makes a lot of sense as an addition to, the 300 WM and 308.

In recient years I shoot more '06 in competition then I do the 308 and 300 Combined.

This is due to the CMP Vintage Rifle Games where I shoot the Garand, Springfield, matches plus the M1917 in the Military Match, and the M1903A4 in the Vintage Sniper Match.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T. O'Heir

I don't and haven't shot F-Class. My 1000 yard shooting was NRA High Power. Sling in-supported. My Model 70 300s are heavy, in the 13 lb weights, and for me anyway, are as easy to shoot as the 9 lb 308s.

As I grow older, I suffer fatigue faster. A good comparison is, using the sling, unsupported I can shoot my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM then I can my wife's Ruger Precision in the same caliber. There is about a 4-5 lb difference. I do agree though, using bipods or some other rest, my Predator wont compete with the RPR, again both shooting the same 6.5 CM loads.

I can shoot my Model 70 Tgt in 308 win, better then both, either with a sling or rest, but I believe that has to do with the years and amount of ammo I've sent don't range with the 308. I'm just getting into the 6.5 CM.

And as a side not, I'm quite impressed with the CM Round. There isn't that much difference in drop and drift between the 6.5 and 300 WM, plus I can shoot it longer without fatigue.

I wish they had the 6.5 in the 70s when I started shooting NRA 1000 yard matches.

stagpanther

I bought a cheapo 300 wm Savage 111 and did a "stiffie" job on the plastic stock, replaced the trigger and built my own recoil pillar--plus put a Kanhtrol brake on (I know, not legal in matches) and except for the "BANG!" I guarantee you cannot tell the difference in felt recoil between it and a conventional 308 (might even be less). Fully dressed for the field the rig is 9.5lbs--a bit on the hefty side maybe--but still reasonable for a hunt where longer shots might be taken across a field or down a powerline. It is VERY accurate for a 308 caliber (at least compared to my shooting of other 308 caliber weapons).

NWCP

I have a Springfield M1A Super Match that is really accurate out of the box.The .308 makes for an excellent short throw rifle. It can't be beat by the 30-06,or the 300WM IMHO.

Big Shrek

If you do get it, get a VERY serious recoil pad.
And probably a shotgun vest with a padded shoulder.

In your old age, your body will thank you ;)

The 308 and the others based on that case 6mm -6.5 -7mm are the most accurate rounds in their class to 800 yds and more. The best designed case I have seen and brass and rifles easy to come by. BR cases maybe edge them by tiny margins but to expensive to deal with