.308 sometimes requires manual cycling the round into the chamber

TXAZ

I have a Daniel Defense.308, and have been trying different ammo’s in it.
A few have sometimes required assistance getting the next next round into the chamber.
Specifically Federal 168 and 175 about 10-20% of the time and 100% of 140 Wolf (which I won’t be putting back in the gun).

The RSO suggested the gas block may need adjustment. This rifle (DD 5 Hunter) has 2 settings, “suppressed” and “unsuppressed”. I’ve been running the unsuppressed setting on the gas block.

Will switching to the suppressed setting likely help get these rounds through without manual intervention?

I’m not familiar with gas blocks and adjustments.

44 AMP

Staff
What, specifically, is "assistance getting the next round into the chamber"???

The gas system only pushes the bolt back, so if the problem happens when the bolt is going forward, it isn't a gas issue.

As to the two settings on your gas block, call the maker (if it isn't in the manual you should have, and have read) and ask which is for what, and when...

so, what exactly, is the rifle doing, and not doing??

Not feeding from the mag (bolt override? short stroking?) or not closing fully chambering a round? something else??

Is the rifle still essentially new, ?? Properly lubed???

Only doing it with those two Federal loads? (not counting Wolf of course) have you tried it with any other brands /loads??

the more info we have, the better we can guess...:D

TXAZ

Of the 13 different loads / SKU's tried, only 3 have shown cycling problems.
It is new, have lubed it a couple of times but may need more.

Chipperman

If it's only those three loads that give you trouble, it sounds like they just don't generate enough gas pressure to reliably cycle your rifle.

An adjustable gas block could remedy that, but may not be worth it if most ammo works fine

stagpanther

Where does your brass usually go when it does successfully eject? Nowadays I often find a bad ejector and/or extractor is very often a factor in these issues--though it could also be related to dwell timing. In general, 308 AR's--like the 5.56 ones--should cycle just about anything with aplomb.