.308 Rifle HELP!

EdInk

Sooner or later this year, I plan to buy a rifle in .308 for general tacti-cool foolishness and simply because I want one. I am having a difficult time deciding on what to purchase. I want to buy a NEW gun (or LNIB).

I do NOT like the AR platform, so it's not even an option. Nor do I want another AK in a different caliber. I considered an M1A but after handling one didn't really care for stock. (Specifically the grip area felt fat to me.) The H&K SL8 is just stupid looking and a real G series rifle cost a fortune. (The PTR-91 rifles appear to be good clones though?) The FAL series of rifles were "the right arm of the free world" and look interesting to me. However, I will NOT buy a CAI gun of any kind and don't know what other manufactures are producing them. (Not to mention which of the others are good and which are not.) Then do I want standard or metric? (I'm guessing metric.) Lastly, I considered a bolt action but I shoot lefty and do not want to "make do" with a right handed action. Additionally, I'm not a fan of the low capacity associated with them. (The Ruger Scout rifle WAS an option but I've heard way too many complaints
about extraction.)

So what are my options? (If any!) The PTR-91 any good? Anyone making quality FALs? How about a 10+ round detachable box magazine LEFTY bolt gun? (Although I could be okay with a lower round count.) Budget would be under $1800.

brmfan

Had both a PTR 91 and a DSA Fal. Liked them both but sold them to fund another project. Of the two I'd go for the FAL given your stated criteria and preferences.

EdInk

Any reason in particular? Out of the jumbled mess of options, I was probably leaning the most toward a PTR91 or (still) the M1A.

TX Hunter

ED INK

I have never heard of an extraction problem on a Ruger Gunsite Scout. It has a Massave Claw Extractor. Its one of the Rifles best features.

brmfan

EdInk: Better ergonomics, easier to field strip, and less 'boxy' although the sights were nothing to write home about. PrecisionShooter is right... my personal pick is the M1A also.

MoscowMike

Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. I like the ergonomics of the FAL, and it is a very solid, dependable design. It isn't going to be a 1MOA target rifle, but I can ding the propane tank at 500 meters with mine using surplus ammo. It's pretty easy to scope. One of mine wears a Weaver 1-3x. A fair number of folks hunt with theirs, but they aren't light.

Head on over to the falfiles - http://www.falfiles.com/forums/ for lots more info. Interesting rifles show up on the marketplace there, and many helpful folks will help you find a good choice if you decide.

With so many countries having used it, there are lots of minor variations to choose from!

AlBundy

If you want a bolt action I would go with a Remington 700. I'm pretty sure they make left handed models and they seem to be the the golden standard. As far as semi automatic the only ones that I'm aware of are the M1A, the Saiga, and the ARs. If your open to other calibers you could get a nice M1 Garand in 30-06. Good luck.

EdInk

Yeah, the M1A has still been the best overall choice. I have stumbled upon the FNAR while screwing around on the web today. It looks interesting to me. Anyone have any experience or owner/user reviews of this gun.

armoredman

I am almost to the point of pulling the trigger on a DSA FAL, specifically the STG 58 16 C. Be warned - falfiles will give you no end of grief about buying one pre-assembled - they are 90% home builders there. I found this out the hard way. Ask FAL questions, just never ever let one you want to buy one from DSA...I am looking forward to wringing out a DSA FAL in pics and reviews and see just how well it does for a newby.

PawPaw

EdInk said:
Lastly, I considered a bolt action but I shoot lefty and do not want to "make do" with a right handed action.

There's no reason to "make do" with a right handed action. Lots of southpaw bolts out there. Here's my son, wringing out some new loads, yesterday. That's a Savage 10FLP in a Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock that I picked up for a song. I'm not a big fan of that particular stock, but he shoots it very, very well.

.308%2B06.jpg

Additionally, I'm not a fan of the low capacity associated with them.

When all you need is one good shot, it's hard to argue about capacity.

timelinex

Yea Im not sure where you got the idea that bolt actions are only right handed, most popular models are made in lefty as well. They aren't neccesarly limited either. My savage fcp-k came with a 4 round mag, but I currently have a 10 round mag. So you have the same 10 rounds, and unless your just spraying ammo just to hear it go bang, you can shoot a bolt gun plenty fast enough for all general purposes.

GroovyMike

ptr91

i'd go with the PTR91. That said they are not much better than a Cetme. I have and like both. Sold my FAL to buy them. HK style fits me better than FAL stock and the FAL jams if you get a loose primer inside the action bouncing around. My PTR and Cetme have never jammed on me.

I have moved on to other projects though (Saiga 12 shotguns) and will probably sell one or both of the 308 rifles in the near future.

tboy1951

Try this:

Savage makes some pretty nice lefty models. Go to their website and look under "Firearms" and then "Gun Finder" and work your way through the criteria. I found the 10 FLCP-K which is a pretty nice gun. I have the right handed version and I love it.

Edit: I forgot to tell you about the detachable mags. You can get some 10-rounders from Darkeagle Custom, Inc., which are real nice and well made. I got several and I am very happy with them. The web site is darkeaglecustom.com.

cbuck

^link to the savage gun finder, you can look by caliber and choose just the left handed models and ones with the detachable magazines

http://savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

i know they also make a different floorplate for the left handed tikkas and remmy 700s that will accept the accuracy international 10rd detachable mags