.308, loads/powder?

45Badger

I'm about to start reloading .308 Win. This is my first time reloading rifle calibers. I have three .308's that I'll be loading for-

M1A for target, and possible varmit/coyote
Browning BLR, deer gun
Thompson Center Encore pistol, deer

Looking for good loads for these guns and uses. Also, any chance that one powder will work well for all three? I shoot and load (a lot) .45 acp, and use a couple different powders. Would prefer to keep this simple. Thanks.

sricciardelli

Last time I looked, there were at least 143 different bullets on the market for the .308, plus there were 43 different powders that could be used with those bullets, and in addition there are over 12 different primers.

That alone gives around 73,788 possible combinations. Now take into consideration the 5 major brass manufacturers, and the number is up to 368,940...

There is nothing simple when you have all those possible combinations.

45Badger

Now that we all know that this is a very complex issue, any specific information and/or assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Likely, the M1 will be your limiting factor regards powder choice/power level.

Never reloaded for one but have heard that they don't like some of the beefier stuff due to the gassing, etc. Could be way off base & am certain someone will correct me. ;)

Ideally, a load tailored to each one would be ideal, but that starts to get away from that "simpler" idea.

Could be you'll luck out & have onoe load that shoots "good enough" in each & you'll only have to load the one.

Stranger things have happened ... ;)

For your stated uses, you could do worse than a Nosler Ballistic tip in the 150-165 grain weight range. Nicely enough accurate for all but the most demanding target work, a goodly boattail for down range trajectories, etc. & well within the deer-class expansion characteristics. Bit pricey though.

Don't fall into the "use a target bullet for big game" trap. Just because it's the most accurate, doesn't mean it'll expand as needed on game.

Archie

To make life simple.....

First get yourself a supply of cases. Whatever you do, get them all the same; don't have 43 of these and 61 of them and a few range pick ups.

Check with your favorite supply house and get a lot of 500 cases.

Same with primers. Lay in a sleeve (5000) of LR primers. Whichever you prefer is probably all right.

Powder. IMR 4895 is a reliable .308 Winchester powder in a good range of bullet weights. If you're cheap like I am, check with Jeff Barlett of www.gibrass.com for some surplus GI powder for 7.62 NATO. Heck, he has IMR 4895 and lots of GI 7.62 NATO brass.

Bullets. The match bullet for the M1A (and not a bad varmint bullet) is the 168 grain HPBT round made by dang near everyone.

For hunting, why not stay in the same weight range and go for 165 grain SPs, again, pick your favorite manufacturer.

Now: Is one load going to work in all three guns? Probably not.

The standard match load for .308 in a gas gun is the 168 grain HPBT with 38 - 40 grains of IMR 4895. You might as well try that with the 165 SP in the BLR and the Encore. They will probably handle them "adequately". If the accuracy fits your needs, you're done.
You will most likely have to doctor those loads somewhat.

If your luck runs like mine, you'll get good results in the M1A, marginal results in the second gun and wretched results in the third. Then you'll have to experiment with other powders. Maybe other bullets. But that's the fun of loading.

Dave P

M1A

Archie seems right. Load for the M1A first. Surplus 4895 is great; get good bullets (nosler or Sierra) for accuracy; surplus 147 bullets for plinking.