.308 lever gun

redhawk41

i am looking for opinions and experience with lever action .308 rifles. the three i am currently aware of are:

savage 99
winchester 88
browning BLR

anyone with some input?

WillBrayjr

I had a Savage 99E. It was a tackdriver, not a problem hitting milkcaps at 150 yards. The Savage handled hot handloads with ease. I was lucky because the rifle didn't blow up on me. I warn against using any handloads or reloads. Use factory ammo only because of the age of the rifle.

44-40

I've only fooled with the savage 99's with pretty good luck,I saw my neighbor shoot a 1 hole group with one in 308 at 100yds using reloaded cast bullets.I would like to try a win 88

Crosshair

My friend has a Winchester model 88 in .243. NICE gun IMHO. I don't see any good reason why they stopped making them. :( Probably because two of the four calibers they where made in are no longer used.

redhawk41

Crosshair, i discoverd the model 88 while researching a cartridge that caught my eye: .358 winchester

if i am not mistaken the model 88 was chambered in .243, .284, .308, and .358.

saying the .284 and .358 are "no longer used" is a little harsh, i think once a year winchester whips up a batch :)

when i find a model 88 in .308 for the right price i will be buying it
same with the savage 99 .308

Lawyer Daggit

I used to own an early BLR in .308- found it excellent. It had the earlier magazine that protruded beneath the action and so was uncomfortable to carry and did not 'balance' well for carrying. Newer versions solve this.

Do not use hot loads in it- a stuck case is no laughing matter none of these guns has the camming power of a bolt gun.

redhawk41

there has got to be more of you that own at least one of these rifles.

and i KNOW you have something to say about it

let's hear it!

Last edited:

gb_in_ga

While I no longer have either one of them, at one time I had a Savage 99 in .300 Savage -- and I liked it a lot. Shot great! Ok, so it isn't the .308 model, but that's just a minor point. Also, I had a Winchester 88 in .308. For quite a few years it was my primary deer rifle. Nice and accurate, I'm kicking myself for selling it.

I believe the Sako Finnwolf was also chambered in .308.

Of the three mentioned, I've shot all three.

The BLR is probably the most accurate simply because of the way the bolt locks up; essentially it's a lever actuated bolt rifle.

Savage also chambered 99s in .243, .308, .284, and .358.

The .284 are probably the rarest of the 99s, while among 99 afficionados the .358s are HIGHLY sought after.

I've been looking for one for some years and have yet to find one.

Watch-Six

I used to have an older model BLR in 308. I only shot it with iron sights. It was a nice rifle. I regret selling it. Watch-Six

texfar

I have a savage 99 in .284 with a vintage Redfield 3x-9x wideview and just finished shooting it an hour ago. I shot a 139 gr. Hornady bullet with it today using 55.9 gr of RL-19, getting 13 SD through my Oehler at 2785 fps.(M) Shot a 1.5 inch group with 9 rounds. Only problem is OAL which I have set at 2.840....clears the mag and chambers smooth. Love the gun. Great for hogs!! My buddie has a .308 in the Savage 99 and loves it as well. Not a problem to date with stuck cases in either.

Jseime

hard to find

i think the biggest problem with the older Model 88 and savage 99 is that they are going to be hard to find and even harder yet would be the sako finnwolf. ive only seen one savage 99 and it was beat all to crap. i do know a guy that has one in .257 roberts but wouldnt sell it if he was going to lose the farm. id love a model 88 in .284 that would be really nice

Jseime,

I don't know how the market is for Savage 99s in Canada, but if you want to have a good selection, you need to go to Pennsylvania. At the last show I was at, back in October, there were over 100 of them for sale in various calibers, grades, and ages.

I looked VERY longingly at a nice one with an octagon barrel and perch belly stock, low 100,000 serial number range IIRC, chambered in .30-30 Winchester, but just couldn't afford it.

I've long wanted to get a shooter in either .32-40 or .38-55, but with those two calibers there only seems to be two grades available -- beaten into the ground and used as a fence post for 50 years, or pristine with high-end sights and special options, and neither is very affordable.

The common calibers, though, .243, .308, .300 Savage, .250 Savage, those will often be found in good condition and reasonably priced, anywhere from $300 to $600, depending on caliber, model, and grade.

Over 3 million (IIRC) 99s were made from 1899 until just a few years ago. They're out there, and they're still wonderful rifles.

My 99 was made in 1936 and is chambered in .300 Savage.

Someone sent me a link for a Savage 99F in .358 that's on one of the auction sites. Current price is nearly $1,400. I wasn't joking when I said they're sought after.

Here's a little trivia for for you all.

The Savage 99 holds the distinction for being made in more factory standard calibers than any other lever action rifle.

45Badger

I've got a BLR in .308 (bought it a few years ago from a guy in Utah!).
Accuracy is so-so with 150 gr bullets. Much better with 168 gr. Either way, plenty accurate for deer at typical east coast hunting distances.

Keltecnician

I inherited my Dad's 88 in .308 and have greatly enjoyed shooting it. It has a very natural feel coming up, much like a Model 70.
Early on, I realized that it was far more accurate than I was with iron sights.
I mounted a 3x9 Simmons and was able to cover 4 holes with a quarter at 100 yards. OK, not every time, but hey!
One piece of advice: install a good recoil pad. These are relatively light rifles and will surprise you.

I see the Model 88 occasionally at gun shows.
Savage 99s are more common and a great rifle, as well.
I have never shot the Sako, but hope to one day.

redhawk41

hey thanks for the responses y'all. i new i could stir ya up if i dredged the bottom for long enough :)

sounds like i won't go wrong with any of these guns, if i can find the savage and winchester, that is.

when in doubt, try em all out!

Noah Zark

I don't know how the market is for Savage 99s in Canada, but if you want to have a good selection, you need to go to Pennsylvania . . .

Absolutely! Just about any show here in PA, from the big ones in Pittsburgh, Philthadelphia, and Harrisburg to the small-town "firehall" shows will have Savage 99s, and more than one. Just bring at least $400 to $500 for each one you wish to buy; more for the earlier ones. Great rifles.

Noah