308 GMX load?

mikld

I'm asking for load information for Hornady GMX bullets (Not a rookie so I have looked in my Hornady manual, but mebbe it's too old? 8th?). I've googled "GMX load data", looked for data on Hornady's site, and searched all my manuals (I guess they are old enough that they don't incluse a GMX listing). Could someone direct me to where to find load data for a 308 Winchester/GMX load? Especially the recommended OAL?

bacardisteve

I have a 9th edition and it lists the gmx but it puts it together with other bullets of same weight. Hornady even mention in front of manual that the gmx unlike other all copper bullets uses standard load data for their given weight and caliber.

skizzums

i believe it's advertised on the box to use the same data as the sst. i double check when i get home. i have some in .224

i loaded mine to the cannelure, mine were shorter than an average bullet in it's weight, so i don't think oal will be too much of an issue

snuffy

Yeah, load it like any of the other Hornady bullets of the same weight.

HOWEVER be advised that they have a fairly high minimum velocity for maximum expansion. By that I mean, under a certain velocity they don't open up/expand fully. In a .308 that could mean a limited range, over which the bullet would act like a FMJ. IF it slows too much, it would simply punch a clean hole, no expansion. It's sleek design means it would retain velocity well, but extreme range is not in the cards for .308's.

It's primary use is for the big magnums for animals where you must have deep penetration through heavy flesh, bones, and the infamous "shield" on big hogs. Many of the African plains animals, and our own Grizzly's.

mikld

Thanks fellers. I was mostly concerned with seating/OAL because they are a VLD design and quite a bit longer than the A-Max bullets. I was hoping to find some Hornady info.

I've been reloading for quite a while and would never start at a near max. of any cartridge I reload, and there is no load data on the box. I'm not hunting with them (yet) just looking for a good, accurate load for my new rifle (A-Max are pretty good bullets but I have a couple hundred GMX on hand)...