.308 Bullet for White Tail??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason_G

Soft point fan here as well. Almost all the white tails I've taken have been with with Remington Core Lokt or similar bullets.

Jason

mete

Depends on how the bullet is made . Typically hps open more easily than sp.Premium bullets like CoreLockt open even slower but hold together. If you're shooting close range get a heavy premium bullet otherwise you loose a lot of meat.

Edward429451

I loaded some of the Hornady 170 gr FP's into .308 cases and was amazed to see them grouping better than my SGK's right off the bat. I haven't hunted with them but my buddy did in 30/30 and (once he hit it:D) it was DRT one shot. Good bullets them Hornadys.

crowbeaner

It all depends on the size of the white tail; for one of the skinny little ones here in the south, a Sierra Prohunter 150 is the ticket. For a 250+ pound northern swing bagger, a 165 or 180 Hornady is my pick. WW 748 or BLC2 is the powder of choice.

bamaranger

questions

I sure don't know all the various .30 slugs on the market, but there aren't just to many that are HP's that are intended as a "deer" game bullet. The Sierra 165 BTHP is one, and Berger has .30's that are configured like their match bullets but intended for game. Barnes has the Xbullet, which is a sort of HP I guess. There used to be some commercial, loaded (W-W) 150 HP in the .30-30, but I've not seen those in years.

There may well be some new wonder bullets that are HP that I"m not aware of.

Standard, cup and core lead SP have worked for me on whitetails up to 188 lbs. The Sierra 150 flat base SP in the Pro Hunter line has always been very accurate in any .30 cal rifle I've tried it. Bunch of my friends have been shooting the Nosler 150 ballistic tip w/ good results as well. Its a boattail, so a step up in the prestige , but still a standard, copper and lead slug.

I'm not on TV, making videos, or a hunting celebrity, but I feel certain that the move for the super premium space bullets for whitetails is not necessary.
You like'em, they shoot well in a certain rifle, sure, go and use'm, but they don't kill deer any deader.

Status
Not open for further replies.