.308 build?

PatientWolf

I was thinking of building a .308 or having one built since I don't see what I am looking for out there as my dream package. I am not looking to spend a fortune (want to be as far below 1k as possible) but want some specific features...

Necessary features:
.308 Win caliber
Bolt action
20"-22" barrel with threaded muzzle
Adjustable trigger
Accurate and smooth action (ideally at least .5 moa)
Detachable 10-rd box (preferably something affordable like a p-mag)

Possible considerations:
Iron sights + tapped for scope (option to use either normal or LER)
Laminated stock
Fluted barrel
Savage action? (They just seem to be reliable)

Thoughts?

DASHZNT

Dude... just get a Remington 700 R5 MilSpec and youll be very happy with the performance. If you need to make upgrades to it from there it wont cost you tons because you already have a fantastic platform.

DASHZNT

20thru45

You will drop $400 on glass and mounts so a used 700 ADL or BDL, which already has iron sights and a good trigger is where I'd start. 700s can be fitted with a multitude of accessories including detachable box magazines. The threaded muzzle and all sounds higher than $1K, but not much

Polinese

I'd look at the savage hog hunter, Has the majority of your requirements. as for 10 round detachable mags the majority of 308 bolt guns with detachable mags either use the proprietary 4 rounders from whatever maker your using, or the AI mags which as widely used as they are, still cost an awful lot. Sharpshootersupply also makes a 10 round short action magazine for savage DBM guns but its also pretty expensive.

LSnSC

I doubt you can have a rifle built for less than 1K. That doens include glass and mounts.
The Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine is very close to what you want.

Saltydog235

Savage 10 Precision Carbine is as close to factory as you're going to get with that wish list. No sights and a 5rnd det mag though. Shoots like a dream, I love mine.

PatientWolf

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback. The Savage 10 would sound perfect except I kind of had my heart set on stainless. I may have to give up on that.

If I go to a 22" and give up on the threaded muzzle, of course, there are probably several options.

I may also have to look into used. I saw a used Howa for about 600 I may need to research a little farther.

stubbicatt

CZ550 FS in 308 will accept 10 round detachable box magazine. Or you could do the 550 Varmint and cut back the barrel to the length you desire.

Bart B.

Patient Wolf's Necessary features:

.308 Win caliber

Good choice

Bolt action
Good choice

20"-22" barrel with threaded muzzle
If you want to have better accuracy at the longer ranges, a 24" to 26 inch barrel's better, especially for iron sights.

Adjustable trigger
Good choice, if one can be had that's repeatable in pull weight and let off feel.

Accurate and smooth action (ideally at least .5 moa)
If you'll use bullets heavier than 160 grains. actions with flat sides and bottom tend to be more accurate.

Detachable magazines oft times need a different zero as they typically don't all fit the receiver the same way. M14 rifles used in competition were nororious for this and the two magazines used for rapid fire matches (2 rounds in the first one then 8 in the second one) had to be paired that enabled the rifle to shoot both with the same zero. Bolt guns are no different.

Possible considerations:
Iron sights + tapped for scope (option to use either normal or LER)

Sounds good.

Laminated stock
OK, but not needed unless you want a wood one.

Fluted barrel
Not an improvement in any accuracy issue and usually a waste of one's money unless the stiffest barrel for a given weight's most important.

Savage action? (They just seem to be reliable)
Winchester Model 70 actions have the best track record for reliability. But Savage ones are pretty good.

PatientWolf

Thanks Bart.

The idea behind the 20" - 22" barrel was that I also hunt wooded areas, so for those areas a shorter barrel would be easier.

I didn't follow your comment about the flat sides and bottom on the action. I'm not sure what that means.

That was good information about the magazines. I hadn't thought of that, but I can understand why that would be.

The idea behind the laminate stock was if I went with wood rather than composite,the laminate would be more durable.

The fluted barrel, I admit was mostly a cosmetic wish, but to be honest I just can't seem to forget my brother's Kimber that had a fluted barrel and I shot .25 MOA with.

PatientWolf

Thanks Jim. I will be sure to do that. I expect I can find compatible normal capacity mags that would fit the receiver. Hunting I have never fired more than one shot so far.

Eppie

You mean something like this.
attachment.php

Savage 10FCP-K, XLR Chassis, AI 308-10 mag, Swarovski Z6 5-30x50.
For about $900 you can get the rifle only and then add the scope and later the chassis with the mag. That's how I did it.

I had a Rem 700, but after a friend let me try his Savage there was no turning back. It's a whole different world. The accutrigger is something very special. I've tried many rifles and I never felt anything better.

Last edited:

Eppie

The irony is that since I got the new chassis I have been able to shoot it only once. I stepped on a nail and got my foot infected. Winded up in the hospital had foot surgery was on high potency antibiotics. Now I'm just sitting around waiting for my foot to heal so I can get back to normal.

Here's the target that I used while zeroing it.

The 2nd group is actually 2 groups of 2 shots. The target is at 115 yards. You can see the holes tightening up with each progression. I need to finish zeroing because it's still not there. I used Federal GMM 168gr BTHP ammo.

attachment.php

FYI, I don't consider myself a particularly good shooter. When I was in Basic I scored as a "Sharpshooter" which is the middle of the 3 grades. Clearly the rifle is more capable than I am, but I'm planning on developing my skills now that I have more time.

When my foot heals I'm planning on taking it to the 1,000 yard range at my club.

Attachments

• Savage target redux 02.jpg
    Savage target redux 02.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

emcon5

I never really understood why so many people seem to lay such importance on this.

For what it's worth, I have been on several extended, many-hundred-rounds-fired varmint hunts, and never once did I think "If only this rifle held another 5 rounds" or "If only this rifle had a detachable magazine"

I would put the $300-$500 you would spend on that toward a better stock, or better optics.