.308 Bolt Action Rifle

10mm

I am looking to buy a nice, accurate out-of-the-box rifle in .308 Winchester. I have been looking hard at the FN Special Police Rifle and pretty much had mine mind set on it, but it is almost $1000. At some point I also want a .338 Lapua Magnum, which Sako makes in the TRG-S, so I got to looking at Sako, which led to Tikka. So I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with Tikka or Sako rifles? I really like the idea of a sub-MOA rifle like the FN SPR with a chrome-lined bore, but if a rifle just as nice can be had for several hundred less I may look into it instead. Any reccomendations accepted, even if they are different than the three manufacturers I have listed. Thanks.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The Tikka has invariably gotten good words, here. A buddy of mine recently sighted in his new Tikka .243, and right from the box got groups inside one MOA.

Art

Rob01

10mm did you know Amalite is selling a 338 Lapua Mag now, the AR30. It will be out in March and it should run around $900. Dealer cost is about $700. Get your name on the waiting list now. For an accurate out of the box rifle the Remington 700VS comes to mind. They run about $550-650 depending on where you get it. It's definately a sub MOA rifle.

I've heard good things about Tikka though but it depends what you're going to do with the rifle long term. the Remington will be easier to find smiths to work on and also to find accessories.

ronin308

The MSRP is $999.95. Your dealer should be able to get it to you for about 20% less than that. So it should be about $800 + tax.

Dan

Bob Locke

My Savage 10FP in .308 consistently shoots about .75 MOA, and the only thing I've done to it is mount a scope and bipod and set the trigger at about 2#. The rifle itself cost about $400, and the entire setup has cost be about $600.

It's not a thing of beauty, but it shoots better than most that are.

Bogie

Yeah, I'd second the Savage... Get a good trigger, and a good scope, and you're still less than the others - Plus you'll have an easier time rebarrelling the Savage, should you so desire...

10mm

I know Armalite has the AR30 coming out, and I am on the "interested" list. However, I saw the Sako TRG-S for like $719 retail and figured my dealer could get it cheaper so I was keeping it in mind as an option. At $80 for 20 rounds of factory fodder and $2 per piece of brass the Lapua is a bit down the road. Does anyone here prefer the Remington over the Sako or vice versa? Is there a market for Sako aftermarket products like stocks and such? Thanks for the help.

ROCK-n-GLOCK

Heard good things about the Ruger M77MKII VLE(Law Enforcement Model). Stainless heavy barrel, 2 stage crisp trigger, floated in a nice stock, comes with a Harris bipod and Ruger 1inch rings.

You can get it in .308 or .223. I heard really good things about these "Police ONly" rifles. Supposedly as good as a PSS

This place has them for 675.00 NIB

www.weareguns.com

M77VLE .223 or .308,BIPOD,RINGS NEW $675

LevelHead

I have a Sako, though not a "sniper" rifle, it's a beauty.

Pa052777_700.jpg

7mm Rem Mag w/ Leupold 8.5-25X40 AO LR scope.

Quality is some of the best I've ever seen or felt. The action is like butter. Sako Oprilock rings are very nice, but damn hard to find. I bought a Mark IV for it, and could not find 30mm Stainless rings anywhere - finally got them from a shop in Finland, and HE took them off a demo rifle!

My current lusting is for a TRG in pretty much any caliber. If this "Hunting" rifle is this fine, the TRG must be amazing.

Tikka is the less-expensive version of the Sako. Some parts are plastic, but the quality is supposedly still there. Lots of people rave about them.

If I was on a tight budget, I'd get a Savage in a heartbeat. A friend of mine does 1000m matches with his FP in .300WM.

-LevelHead-

For something in Bolt Action, I'd go with a Savage 110BT for economy and quality.
If the buget allows try a Ruger M77MKII VLE or Winchester Model 70 Stealth.
If money is flowing like the Nile, then a Sig- whatchamacallit (Scout) or Parker Hale sniper rifle should do the trick.
If you want Semi-auto, try a Springfield M-21 or M-25 (White Feather). -Mucho Dollaros...

Swamp Yankee

I have a Tikka Whitetail Hunter in .308 with a B&L 3X9X40 Elite 3000 Series scope mounted. Total cost about $650 including Tikka rings and the Govenor's cut. Have no reservations in recommending either the rifle or the scope. This set up out of the box is shooting sub 1 MOA groups with the cheap UMC ammo. Can't wait to start working up some handloads for it.
Take Care

MeekAndMild

I had a nice Winchester model 70, but have had major stock problems this year (warping and cracks) with point of aim shifts over 4 inches. So it is down for repairs. If I'd had it to do over I would have bought a rifle with a plastic stock in the first place, or at least a laminated wood stock.

If you are looking for an accurate deer rifle the stock type is a major consideration!

LevelHead

The Sako synthetic stock on my rifle is quite interesting. Its got sections of other material in it where your hands go which is a tad softer - I believe it not only aids in gripping the rifle, but also in helping your hands stay just a bit warmer in the cold.

-LevelHead-

10mm

I think I have come down to the decision to get either the FN Special Police Rifle or the Remington PSS LTR. Any thoughts on which way to go. If my dealer (who sells me stuff at cost) can get the PSS I will probably do it for the ease of ordering and price difference. If not, it's a toss up, but the PSS is still about $200 cheaper. Thanks.

ed mason

LevelHead.

From what I can see in the photo your scope mounts are waaaay too tall for that scope.(it may just be the angle of the photo)
You need the scope as close to the bore
as possible.
I think 1/2 inch is the maximum it should be.I hope this may help you.

I know a lot of people like the savage but there are a lot better rifles out there for just a bit more money that are more
dependable.!

El Rojo

The Remington 700 VS is a good option.

The Remington 700 PSS LTR is a good gun from my understanding. Do you want the shorter 20" barrel? If not, then think about a 700 VS. It is the same as the PSS except for the stock and usually about $100-$200 cheaper. I bought a VS and love it. I put a new stock on it and a nice Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LRT scope on it. Then since I had nothing else better to do, I painted for hunting coyotes. Check it out. http://home.bak.rr.com/elrojo/pictures/700prtc2.jpg

HJMinard

Kimber Model 84M Classic. I don't have one and haven't handled one ... but I've heard great things about them. High on my personal wish list.

LevelHead

Re: the scope mounts on my Sako - those are lows believe it or not!

I just replaced that scope with a Mark IV with 30mm low rings.

Getting back to .308, I just bought a Tikka Master Continental in .308. Can't wait to pick it up!

echo3mike

Another VS fan. No special alterations. Groups are sub-MOA with all handloads and most factory ammo.

Makes me look like I know what I'm doing!