308 AR's RRA or DPMS

Polinese

I'm still new to firearms and am doing research into what i'd want out of a 308 ar feature wise. But I was curious as to other people's opinions between the two brands. I couldn't find a whole lot on the RRA 308 but people seem to favor RRA over DPMS when it comes to AR-15s.

jeepman4804

I did a lot of research before buying my DPMS .308 ap4. I was originally going to get a LAR308, but after reading about a bunch of feed problems associated with the choice of magazines I decided that the DPMS was the way to go. It is the SR-25 platform which many other big bore manufacturers use and pmags are everywhere for about $20. I have only had mine for a few days now, but the first 200 rounds have been flawless. Hope to put another 200 this weekend. I will say that I got a very tight rifle, takes some help to break it down. Would rather it be tight than loose though.

riverwalker76

Remington makes the DPMS uppers.

Rock River Arms makes a good product as well, and they aren't owned by a conglomerate.

It's all about "who do you want to support?". ;)

I have no qualms about either.

ripnbst

I have heard lots of good things about DPMS and being reliable. The RRA I have not heard anything great about, not saying they aren't good, just saying I haven't heard about it.

PIGMAN

I bought a dpms .308 during November. These are really nice rifles.The fit and finish is excellent.I have fired about 200 rounds thru it with out any malfunctions.The only criticism I have is the trigger,otherwise this is a flawless rifle. Here is a link with instructions for improving the trigger:

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Otherwise there are several manufacturers who make a drop in trigger for this rifle for around $200.

jeepman4804

Armalite is not the same SR-25 platform. They take their own magazines and parts do not interchange. Since he asked about DPMS and RRA, I am betting that knight arms is out of his price range since they start at close to 3k. I will second the trigger comment on DPMS. It is not horrible, but its not good. I knew this when I bought mine and budgeted the cash for a nice two stage.

As for the comment that Remington makes DPMS... It's actually the other way around. DPMS makes the .308 platform for Remington. For the price of 1100 for an AP4 it can not be beat. Mine came with a free float quad rail and steel sights. I spent 170 on a good trigger and bought a few other goodies and am still in it for right under 2k.

madcratebuilder

My personal preference for the .308 AR platform is ArmaLite or Noveske. Keep doing your research, decide if you want a forged upper or an extruded upper. Be aware that uppers, lowers, mags, barrels/nuts, and hand guards do not interchange between all manufacturers. Buy the best barrel you can afford if you are after any kind of accuracy. There are a lot of new/used 308 platform rifles on Gunbroker, some at bargain prices.

5RWill

I agree with madcrate, while the reference to the the KAC was a joke unless you do want to spend that kind of money. Noveske or Armalite would be my two primary options.

jeepman4804

Noveske is in the same 3k+ price range as a KAC. Armalite uses their own mags, which are pretty pricey compared to a p-mag. This is why I don't recommend Armalite. Between the DPMS and RRA like you originally asked, I like DPMS. Their "AR10" seems to be a lot higher quality then their AR15's, and they use a very common mag on a common platform, SR25. The RRA seems to be plagued with feeding problems associated with its use of FAL magazines.

What madcratebuilder said about interchangeability is correct, do your research on what manufacturers can be provided with aftermarket parts. I know that DPMS just changed receiver heights on their flattop .308s which may take a little while for others to "catch up" on, but for the meantime you can get several free float tubes from DPMS.

Bottom line... if you have 3k+1k for optic/accessories to spend, get a KAC or Noveske. If you don't, like me, get a DPMS and slowly build it were you want it.

When I shoot out the factory barrel I will replace it with a nice match barrel. Even though the one that is currently on it was shooting sub MOA after the first 50 rounds using surplus 7.62x51.

I wish more companies were building them in .308, but unfortunately we are stuck with 4 or 5 companies and a limited aftermarket support for now.

Snuffy308

Don't cheat yourself by not looking at the AR-10. It has chrome lined barrel and a nice two stage trigger. Mine has shot 200 yard <MOA with Radway off a rest. Also shoots the commercial stuff great. Presently working up a nice handload for it. I followed the manufacturer's suggestion on barrel break-in "just because" and I think that it could have made a difference:D

madcratebuilder

Noveske is in the same 3k+ price range as a KAC. Armalite uses their own mags, which are pretty pricey compared to a p-mag. This is why I don't recommend Armalite.

Both Noveske and ArmaLite use the same mags. A modified M14 mag. The reason ArmaLite did this was during the development of the current AR10 there was a mag capacity ban in place. They choose the M14 mag so they could use a pre ban high capacity mag. The MSRP on ArmaLite mags is high but they are on sale more often than not at half the MSRP and if you look around you can find them even cheaper than that. I picked up six new GenII's off Gunbroker for $100, that's cheaper than P mags.

csmsss

I am extremely happy with my DPMS LR-308 Sportical. It is far more accurate than I am, and if there are any manufacturing flaws, inside or out, I have yet to see them. I have several thousand rounds through it with no failures of any kind, with a wide variety of ammo (WWB, DAG Nobel surplus, Federal, etc.). About the only thing I would change is the handguard (it's a cheapish affair), and I'd add additional sling mounts. But I wouldn't change any of the functional components whatsoever.

Many folks here and elsewhere love to criticize DPMS firearms, yet from what I can tell, the criticisms come from those who don't own them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another DPMS firearm.

BODAME

Expensive Lesson

I hate to admit I have owned a DPMS LR308 for over 2 years.
I bought it due to the lower Price than the other AR 308 Platforms I considered.
To make it Run(Heavy Metal Muti-Gun Match Gun) I have spent more on it than the others I considered.(In its Original Factory Condition I would have been was better off with a Bolt Action Rifle)
Addtional Comment:
I own several other AR Platforms in various calibers, but none of them are
DPMS.
Live And Learn.

jeepman4804

Both Noveske and ArmaLite use the same mags. A modified M14 mag. The reason ArmaLite did this was during the development of the current AR10 there was a mag capacity ban in place. They choose the M14 mag so they could use a pre ban high capacity mag. The MSRP on ArmaLite mags is high but they are on sale more often than not at half the MSRP and if you look around you can find them even cheaper than that. I picked up six new GenII's off Gunbroker for $100, that's cheaper than P mags.

Hmm, where are you buying Pmags? I can get them for $13-$15ea typically. Just bought 5 more for a total of $75 and I found 6 elsewhere for $78. :) Maybe I am just lucky... or the local gun shop guys know how to bribe me to come buy more toys.

madcratebuilder

Hmm, where are you buying Pmags? I can get them for $13-$15ea typically.

7.62 PMAGS for $13??? I don't think so, 5.56 yes but not 7.62's.

I see the 7.62's selling at $19-20, just a few bucks cheaper than ArmaLite mags.

10mmAuto

My suggestion is to get the original and only "AR-10" from ArmaLite.
Basic Google and Wikipedia-fu would reveal the following about this statement.
1)Armalite is a rebranding of Eagle Arms, who own the name but have no relation to the Armalite which designed the AR-10 or Eugene Stoner.
2)The AR-10 they market also is not the original AR-10, it is a scaled up contemporary AR-15.
3)The quality of their weapons is questionable.
Actually, all of this but the 3rd item can be discerned from the AR-10 article you yourself linked.

Personally, I'd go with none of the above and get an FNAR. Accuracy guarantee and a manufacturer who's brand name is beyond reproach in the manufacture of long arms.