.308 AR

reynolds357

In your opinions, what is the best .308 AR in the under $1500 price range?
Used for deer hunting, Coyotee hunting, hog hunting. Does not have to be sub-moa, but cant shoot much over a minute either.

uradaisyifudo

I'll say it again, not Eugene's design, Ed's, the BAR is a better .308 gun, the FNAR will outshoot an AR15 based .308. Not as common or Lego ready, but a solid .308.

Dirty_Harry

I'll say it again, not Eugene's design, Ed's, the BAR is a better .308 gun, the FNAR will outshoot an AR15 based .308. Not as common or Lego ready, but a solid .308.

I am not a 308 AR fan necesssarily, but this is a silly statement. The FNAR is a nice gun, but everything I hear is that it is ammo picky.

I would say about any 20" 308 AR will smoke the FNAR in accuracy especially with a broad range of bullets.

Departed402

+1 to the DPMS.

As far as hunting goes, they are a bit heavy for the task. That said, I'm in the same boat. Hunting with an AR in .308 definitely added an extra fun factor for hunting for me. I've only had my DPMS LR-308 Recon for one hunting season, but I have already slain one buck pronghorn, and a couple whitetails with it.

DPMS just released new Gen 2 (GII) LR-308s which are slightly lighter than their previous gen.

reynolds357

Back to the FN for a bit. By "ammo picky" do you mean it will only shoot one bullet or it just wont shoot junk ammo? I know that FN guarantees it to be sub moa with premium ammo.

Again, does anyone know what they are selling for?

uradaisyifudo

I have not had ammo problems but shoot federal or PMC so not cheap stuff. I usually see them sell around $950. Mine is very accurate and reliable, the M1A is also appealing, I like them, but I don't think it is as easy to mount optics on the Springer.

the lar8 is a great rifle, but it's a bench gun. it just weighs too much to lug around. the dpms is nowhere near as nice of a rifle, but it's lighter for sure. the accuracy is ok if you can get used to the nasty trigger. the fn is ugly as sin, but i've never held one. it looks really heavy.

csmsss

I'm quite happy with my DPMS 7.62 Sportical. It's light, it's handy, much more accurate than I am, and has been 100% reliable thus far.

HJ857

It's amazing what you can hear on the internet.

This is mine. It weighs a smidge under ten pounds on my bathroom scale, without the bipod.

Then again I weigh five pounds more at the doctor's office scale than I do at home. So maybe the rifle is 15 pounds. Could be 5 pounds I guess. It's between 5 and 15 pounds. Internet warriors can take that to the bank.

I handload only, SMK, SGK and Amax from 168 to 180 grains all run great. I've settled on the 180 SGK though. No trouble hitting a 12" plate at 500 meters, fwiw. MOA at a hundred yards is perfectly reasonable, even hung over. Less than that on some days.

I've got nothing against an AR10. Someday I'll get one. I'm figuring that I'll need well north of 1500 bucks to match FNAR accuracy.

TMD

I also have a FNAR, 16"model to be exact. iIRC it weighs in at around 7.5lbs sans scope and bipod. Dispite Internet myths it will eat any ammo I have fed it from steel cased wolf 147gr to Federal premium 180s without so much as a hiccup. Had a RRA LAR as well and sold it. The FN shot better and has less felt recoil.

reynolds357

I have had no experience with the FNAR, but I also find it hard to believe it would not function well. I have shot a lot of FN weapons, and I have never known any of them to have feeding problems. The sub moa guarantee is definitely a positive.

kwalityguy

Picked up an S&W M&P AR10 from Quantico Tactical for $1130. (Cabelas also has for $1300 right now.) Got my scope mounted with offset BUIS bore sighted in. Going to shoot this weekend. If it's anything besides kick ass I'll let you know. Paid for with my tax refund. Thanks prez. I'm sure he's glad to know how I spent my refund.

TX_Pipeliner

I have been looking at the DPMS line of .308 AR's at my local gunshop.
My nephew has invited me to West Texas to shoot some hogs and I think that's a great reason to get a new weapon to take out there.
Does anyone have any input on the DPMS .308 Oracle, the Sportacle or the Mk 12?

grubbylabs

I picked up a new DPMS GII a two months ago and so far it has been a good rifle. Fit and finish seems to be what one would expect for a 1400 dollar rifle. I have probably put close to 500 rounds or a few more through her and have yet to have any kind of problem with it.

The hunter version seems to be a little cheaper and would probably fit your needs well enough.