.308 and 2400

burrhead

I want to make up some light loads using 100 gr. Speer plinkers and 2400 for a .308 bolt gun. Anybody got an idea for a starting load. I'm thinking somewhere in the 15-16 gr. area. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

P95Carry

Whilst 2400 is technically a rifle powder ........ about the fastest ... I'd not be too happy with light loads in that big a case. Normal capacity is in the 40 grain region and you're gonna have a load of space spare. There is potential for ''detonation'' .... unlikely but many deem it possible.

Some might say stuff with dacron .. I personally do not like the stuff.

Your bullet is light so a light load sure would do ... frankly I'd prefer a slower powder and one that bulks real well. I have played with reduced loads in rifle using cast bullets ... the ideal powder is IMR SR 4759. Chances are if you get up to charge weights of 20 grains or so, you'll have a much fuller case and still moderate loads.

The Lee 2nd edition does give some useful info on reduced loads .. I'd suggest you explore that as one way to go.

2400 is too slow, and I'd avise AGAINST using jacketed bullets.

A standard charge for such an application is 10 to 14 grains of Red Dot or Unique and a lead bullet.

DAL

I think I read somewhere (maybe on the 'net) about someone loading a .30-06 with 2400 and fairly light bullets for a plinking load. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't comment on it. Maybe some of the old hands here can tell you a thing or two about it.
DAL

I have never tried 2400 in a bottlenecked case. I have used very light loads of 2400 in the .444 Marlin (44 mag type loads).
For your purposes, I would choose a faster burning powder than 2400 and a cast bullet.
I use 13.0 grains of Red Dot and a cast bullet in all my medium bore rifles as a plinking load.

If I was you, I would call the bullet manufacturer and ask them for advice. They have always steered me in the right direction.

Edward429451

I used a 110gr lead RN backed by 15.0gr of Unique and got reasonably good results. These shot in a 20" 700ADL SY. Didn't pursue it very far as I got sidetracked with heavier bullets for general use.

Prolly be a good rabbit load.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
One of my earliest-ever plinker loads was 20 grains of 2400 behind a 169-grain lead gas check bullet, in my '06. No recoil; reasonably accurate. Sharpe's book called it an 1,800 or 1,900 ft/sec load, mas o menos.

About two or three years ago, I meddled around with 2400 in a .308, a .30-30 and a .30-40. You can go up to 25 grains or more in an '06 or .308, but 20 is about the limit for a .30-30. All this was with jacketed bullets. I used a bunch of "strays" from various partial-boxes.

They all shot okay, but I was startled a bit at the drop. The point of impact for the .308 was about 15-ish inches below my sight-in of two inches high at 100 yards for max-load 150s. The first couple of shots splashed gravel onto the target. :)

Art

MADISON

.308 and 2400
You might get away with 10 to 15 grains of 2400 and the 100 gr bullet.
Mt recommendation is to spend about $11 to $20 and get the little Lee "Shooter" program. It lets you take the powder you normally use and tone it down to a desired velocity. Note...There can be problems with heavy bullets.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
MADISON, given my results with 20 grains and 150-grain jacketed bullets in the .308, I have no doubt your loading idea is quite conservative.

I disremember is it the Hodgdon or the Speer book, but one of them lists reduced loads. Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading" also gives various reduced-loads data.

Art

P95Carry

Art ........ Lee edition #2 has some very useful stuff on reduced loads ..... well worth a read. Geared for most part to use of cast bullets but .... much good info IMO.