.308 ammunition suggestions sought

velocette

I have ordered a DPMS LR 308B AR style rifle with 18" bull barrel. It's due in about 4 months. Meanwhile, I wish to begin building an ammunition stock so when I get it I'll have lots of fodder for fun & targets.
I Know that with my DCM, M1 heavy bullets and / or slow powders are not recommended. (something about bending the piston rod,)
Are there such problems with the AR 308s? Any suggestions on optimum reloads for this autoloader?

I'll be back again looking for guidance on optics for this rifle too. Getting back into long arms after a 20 year hiatus and preparing for a good retirement.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Roger

Jimro

For plinking any surplus 7.62x51 will work but I prefer South African and try to avoid Indian.

For accuracy try Blackhills 168 grain ammo, or Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr ammo. The 18" bbl is going to limit you after 600, so there isn't much of a point going to the 175 smk's.

Jimro

john in jax

My 24" bull bbl'd LR-308 eats everything I have put through it without a hiccup.

It shoots best with GA Arms 150 grn ballistic tips, but likes Federal Fusion 150grn SP's almost as much. It did OK with GA Arms, new mfg 150grn FMJ and also handled about 40rnds of some old Korean (I think) surpluss ammo.

I think you'll love your LR-308B . . . I liked my DPMS so much I bought an LR-308 AP4. They are top quality guns.

glockman19

i prefer Federal/Remington/Winchester ammo. I like NATO stamped. you can get 200 rounds of 147 grain .308 through midwayusa.com for $125.

tINY

With a short barrel like that, I'd be looking at 165 gr and up and slowish powders.

There is not much to hurt on that gas system, only cycling problems and bad fouling if the power is not right......

-tINY

shooter_john

I have a 24" LR308, and it primarily gets my handloads (42gr Win 748, 168gr Hornady AMAX) but it's second choice is definitely Hornady TAP A-MAX. Both shoot extremely well. As far as optics, I put a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC on it as a get by, but it is working out so well, I'm just going to leave it. Congrats on a great rifle, I have gotten rid of all of my other semiauto .308's since I got my LR308.