.308 Ammo Recommendation for Deer Hunting

Roadrunner

Heading out on my first deer hunt on Nov. 19 (opening day) in Central Virginia. I've got a Remington 700 with a 26" barrel and scope. What brand of .308 ammo would you suggest I use for shots under 200 yards on a whitetail deer? Unfortunately, I haven't found any experienced hunters at my local gunshops that could help me.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I have been impressed with the accuracy of the Federal ammo in my '06, .243 and .308.

They offer a Premium High Energy load which is a bit pricey, but should work quite well. I don't specifically recommend it over their "regular" ammo; just a comment--it's around 200 ft/sec faster than the other. Bambi won't know the difference.

Any 150-grain or 165-grain bullet will be sufficient; no need for 180-grain.

I would sight in for two inches high at 100 yards, which would put you dead on at 200 and about six inches low at 300 yards. (I begin sighting in at 25 yards; dead on, there, puts you fairly close to a proper point of aim at 100 yards.) If you can count the number of points on Bambi's antlers without binoculars, just point it and pull.

Hope this helps,

Art

Legionnaire

I get "hunting accuracy" (under 2 inch groups at 100 yards) with Remington Core-Lokt 150 grainers from a Model 7. Good enough for what I need, so I've never looked for something more accurate for this gun.

Bruegger

I'd second the 150 or 165 grain Remington Core-Lokt, though you'll certainly get good performance from any of the premium loads.

I got my Mulie with a 180 gr Core-Lokt factory load this year. 180 grainers are too much for the puny California mule deer, but that's what I had the rifle sighted in for... Next year, I'm switching to 165 grainers.

Semper fi,
Bruegger out.

Jeremae

I shoot federal premium 165gr sierra boattails out of my remington 788 with 24 in barrel and get less than 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards (mostly clover leafs with occasional flyer probably due to operator)

I have shot deer from under 60 yards out to 300 yards and never had one go father than 20yards, most drop in their tracks (or are knock over and rolled)

I sight in 1 in high at 100 yards and basically aim for the boiler room except for over 200 yards (only shot at 2 at that range and dropped both)

Paul B.

Roadrunner. I only use my handloads for hunting, so I can't say what you gun will like best. I can state though, that in .308, I much prefer the 165 gr. bullet for deer. I would imagine that the Remington 165 gr. would work quite well for you. I don't see the need forone of the expensive premium loads with the extra tough bullets. Not for deer anyway. My suggestion is pick up a box of the various 165 gr. loads and see which one your rifle likes best.
Paul B.

biganimal

roadrunner
my vote is the federal premiums 165 gr. my sons rifle shoots better than MOA with them. He took two large bucks with it and both were stopped with one shot.

remington's quality control in the arkansas plant is really lacking in my opinion. I've had several bad experiences with thier ammo.

litework

I'd buy a few boxes of ammo and let your gun decide which ammo it prefers...tighest group wins. I think the deer ammo being offered by the various manufacturers will do the job if you do your part. Bullet weight and style are a matter of personal opinion.

Guyon

150 gr Winchester Power Point works for me, but any factory load in the 150-170 gr range will do just fine for most distances.

Roadrunner

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions on ammo selection. I'm looking forward to being out in the field, one week from today.

Art and others, thanks for the sighting info. I was going to post a question regarding it, but you all answered it beforehand. I'll adjust my scope at the range this week.

Hopefully, next week the weather will be nice and I'll harvest my first deer. Otherwise it will be another few days outdoors. Thanks again for the help.

Poodleshooter

Hey Roadrunner! Where are you hunting? I use a .308 with handloaded Remington 165gr Corelockt's. I only hunt public land in VA, as I haven't been able to find contacts with more than 40 or so acres that are privately held. Currently I'm hunting Goshen-Little North Mountain WMA.

Roadrunner

I'll be down in Nelson County. My uncle has some land near Wintergreen. My cousin and I are taking off work next Monday and Tuesday. I'll be returning to hunt on Nov. 29 - Dec. 1. I still don't understand this whole "No Hunting on Sunday" in Virginia.

Poodleshooter

Oooh, lucky man. That's good territory. Wintergreen's director of lanscaping or some such position was complaining on local radio about the deer overrunning the ski and lodge areas and eating the local vegetation. They complained that the police were unable to do anything about it :rolleyes: