300yd Range Report -- 700P

SHIVAN

I took my 700P in .308 to the range Saturday. I have a 10x40 Tasco SS Mildot scope on which I boresighted Friday night.

Started at 50 from the prone position and grouped my first 5 shots inside a quarter. OK, so it was a good start. Trigger pull was hellishly heavy...

From 100yds the damn thing would not group right. I was using some Winchester FMJ 147gr bullets that were junk, but the damn thing just would not hold a group at all. It turned out I had a former Army Sniper on the line with me and I asked him to try it out. (We didn't know him, but found out he was sniper qualified while transitioning to the 100yd line). Anyway, he couldn't get it to group much better, but we finally got a repeatable zero at 100yds. At least two shots within the X ring at 100 which means they were still about 3" apart (I think the target was a 600yd match target or something).

Anyway, we move back to 300 yards....

Took a couple shots and was able to get within 6" of point of aim and elevation seemed to stay consistent. So we narrowed it down to the heavy trigger pull, as all the wild shots seemed to be to the right of the the POA. We pulled the action and "field" adjusted the trigger. IMMEDIATE difference. 3 shots touching at 300yards on a steel target about the size of a legal sheet of paper. In total I took about 15 shots after the trigger job and was able to touch all 15 shots on the steel. Now that's not that impressive as the total "splotch" was about 4" in diameter but pretty damn good for my first shots at 300yds, with a new rifle, new trigger job, etc.

Also pretty good considering the barrel slighty touches the forearm of the stock after two shots. I am going to have to knock some material off the HS NON-Precision stock, in order to make sure the pressure is not adversely affecting my groups. Which all 8 guys are certain it is!!!!!

All in all I am extremely pleased with the rifle and my performance at my first long range shoot. :D There are a few minor issues to work out, but I think this rifle is one of the best out of the box tools I have ever used. It took me quite some time to get my .270 to shot close to MOA at 200yds and in one day with a HIGHLY qualified instructor I was able to get from "flailing" to "deadly" at 300yds.

I am VERY happy...........:D :D :D :D :D

Ed

BusGunner007

I tried that Winchester 147 white box FMJ ( Fargin' Military Junk ) in my PSS, too.
Same thing at 100-yds. All over the place.

Federal Gold Medal Match 168-gr. was under an inch and I am no pro shooter. A good shooter would've had the holes touching, I'm sure.

I haven't torn the gun down yet. Gotta get me a torque wrench!

SHIVAN

Busgunner:

Fed Match 168's worked well after the trigger adjustment, so did PMP $9.99 hunting SP's, and Portugese surplus -- everything we threw at it -- worked!! :D

Next trip will be to get some accurate measures on my groups. But I never know when we'll get the range as it takes an act of congress to sign it out with range control. :barf:

Ed

Watch-Six

The 700P is a fine rifle. The triggers sometimes come from the factory very heavy. Also, I had to do a little work on the stock to get a reliable free float on mine. Try Federal 168grs. Glad you got things working. Enjoy that 700P. Watch-Six

SHIVAN

Free-Float.....

I took a dowel rod and smoothed out the forearm a bit. I can get a folded dollar down the length of the barrell, but I may take some more material out to get a little more wiggle room.

As I said this rifle is DEFINITELY a shooter!!!!! :D :D :D

Ed

Watch-Six

SHIVAN, be sure that you can still do the dollar bill test with the rifle sitting on a foreend rest or bipod. Sometimes the stock can flex a little under the weight being on a bipod and goof up the free floating. My 700P had this problem. I fixed it. Watch-Six

SHIVAN

Bogie...

No, the stock is not as precision fit as a handmade gun would be. Absolutely COLD the barrel only allowed a single dollar bill to pass, so the heat from shots closes that minute gap that much (thickness of a dollar bill).

It should be at LEAST the thickness of a folded dollar all the way from front of the forearm, to the recoil lug.

Ed

Rob01

Shivan, that is common on those stocks. I had to clean my barrel channel out too on my 300WM. Once taken care of it works fine but you might want to also check the bedding area to make sure it has a good fit. My rifle was throwing flyers and I ruled out everything except the bedding. I had it bedded and then the flyers disappered. The HS stocks aren't as drop in as everyone thinks.

SHIVAN

Rob01

I may have it glassbedded too......just need to find a good place to go.

I will diagnose "problems" during next range session. Which may be on a 100yd firing line. :(

Ed

JimFromFL

Actually my 100 yard results have been respectable, but have yet to give it a try at 300 yards. I did purchase some Black Hills ammo but have yet to try it out.

SHIVAN

Jim....

I'm absolutely positive that once the forearm issue and trigger pull is all worked out that I could EASILY put 5 shots together under MOA at 100yds. It really is that good a rifle.

I think the trigger pull was the biggest issue......and on follow-ups the barrel must have been touching but not enough to totally distort the group. Now with both of those taken care of.........

I will range test again and see how I do at 100.

Ed